Question about row/column/nullspace

• Thread starter Arnoldjavs3
  • Start date
In summary, the null space of a matrix is the set of all vectors that when multiplied by the matrix result in a zero vector. It is a subspace of the same vector space as the row space. The column space is a subspace of a vector space whose dimension is the number of elements in the vector. Therefore, if a matrix is 3x5, the null space will be in R5 and the column space will be in R3. The given question in the link is incorrect.
Arnoldjavs3

Homework Statement

If we have a 3x5 matrix:

The row space is in r5, the col space is in r3, and the nullspace is in r3 correct?
Because you would need 5 components to be a member of r5 so the col space cannot be a member of r5 correct?

Here is the question: http://prntscr.com/evo91g

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I getting something fundamentally wrong here? Or is the question just wrong? I believe I'm right for reasons mentioned above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arnoldjavs3 said:

Homework Statement

If we have a 3x5 matrix:

The row space is in r5, the col space is in r3, and the nullspace is in r3 correct?
Because you would need 5 components to be a member of r5 so the col space cannot be a member of r5 correct?

Here is the question: http://prntscr.com/evo91g

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I getting something fundamentally wrong here? Or is the question just wrong? I believe I'm right for reasons mentioned above.

The nullspace is a subspace of ##\mathbb{R}^5##, right? Therefore the nullspace is not in ##\mathbb{R}^3##. For the rest you seem correct. It seems the question is wrong.

Math_QED said:
The nullspace is a subspace of ##\mathbb{R}^5##, right? Therefore the nullspace is not in ##\mathbb{R}^3##. For the rest you seem correct. It seems the question is wrong.

Why would it be in r5 though? Each vector in the nullspace will only have 3 components

Arnoldjavs3 said:
Why would it be in r5 though? Each vector in the nullspace will only have 3 components

Can you give me your definition of null space?

Math_QED said:
Can you give me your definition of null space?

The subspace of linear combinations that make your system equal to 0?

edit: Now that I think about it, when A is a 3x5 matrix, you need a 5x1 matrix vector X. Since X is 5x1, that means the nullspace is in r5 since X represents all vectors inside the nullspace?

Arnoldjavs3 said:

edit: Now that I think about it, when A is a 3x5 matrix, you need a 5x1 matrix vector X. Since X is 5x1, that means the nullspace is in r5 since X represents all vectors inside the nullspace?

The null space and the row space of a matrix will always be sub-spaces of the same vector space (why?).The column space and row space of a matrix will be sub-spaces of the vector space whose dimension is the number of elements in the vector. So if we have a 12x23 matrix, its row space is a sub-space of R23 and its column space is a sub-space of R12. From here I assume you can figure out the correct solution.

Likes Arnoldjavs3
Adgorn said:
The null space and the row space of a matrix will always be sub-spaces of the same vector space (why?).The column space and row space of a matrix will be sub-spaces of the vector space whose dimension is the number of elements in the vector. So if we have a 12x23 matrix, its row space is a sub-space of R23 and its column space is a sub-space of R12. From here I assume you can figure out the correct solution.
Yup! Makes sense now. Just find it interesting that I understand the nullspace and can compute it easily but I still abstract details like that.

Arnoldjavs3 said:

Yes, your reasoning is correct. That's a very bad definition of null space, though.

A better definition would be: Let ##A## be an ##m \times n## matrix.

##Null(A) := \{x \in \mathbb{R}^n| Ax = 0\}##

Or if you are familiar with linear mappings: Let ##f: V \rightarrow W## be a linear mapping:

##Ker(f) := \{x \in V|f(x) = 0\}##

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Question about row/column/nullspace

What is the difference between a row space and a column space?

A row space refers to the vector space spanned by the rows of a matrix, while a column space refers to the vector space spanned by the columns of a matrix. In other words, the row space is the set of all linear combinations of the rows of a matrix, while the column space is the set of all linear combinations of the columns of a matrix.

What is the null space of a matrix?

The null space of a matrix is the set of all solutions to the equation Ax = 0, where A is the matrix. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that, when multiplied by the matrix, result in the zero vector.

How do you find the basis for the row space and column space of a matrix?

To find the basis for the row space of a matrix, we can use row reduction to put the matrix in reduced row echelon form and then take the rows that contain the leading 1's as the basis. To find the basis for the column space, we can use the columns that contain the pivot positions as the basis.

What is the relationship between the row space, column space, and null space of a matrix?

The row space and column space of a matrix are complementary subspaces, meaning that every vector in the row space is orthogonal to every vector in the column space. The null space is also orthogonal to both the row space and the column space.

Can the dimension of the row space be different from the dimension of the column space?

Yes, the dimension of the row space and the column space can be different. In fact, the dimension of the row space and the dimension of the column space are always equal to the rank of the matrix.