HTML Anchor Tag and PowerPoint

• Thread starter noblerare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Html Tag
In summary, CRG is asking if somebody can help them create a hyperlink in a PowerPoint presentation that links to an anchor tag in an HTML file. CRG is also asking if anybody has tried this on their home computers.
noblerare
I'm just wondering if anybody here can help with this minor problem.

Say, I have this simple HTML file:

<html>
<a name=1>This is point 1</a>
<br>
<br>
<a name=2>This is point 2</a>
</html>

I want to create a PowerPoint hyperlink that links to an anchor tag in my HTML file. When I create the hyperlink, I browse the path to my html file and add on a "#2" (without quotes) at the end of the hyperlink, (say, if I wanted the link to link the second anchor tag). However, this does not work. I have tried putting quotes around the 1 and 2 in the anchor tag.

I simply just want to create a hyperlink in my PowerPoint presentation that will link to an anchor tag in an html file.

Can anyone help me on this? Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
How do you know it's not working? With a document that short you wouldn't be able to tell.

To really do this right you should write
Code:
<p id="1">This is point 1</p>
<p id="2">This is point 2</p>
but that's probably not your issue.

As CRG mentioned, link anchors kinda depend on the length of your website. If your website doesn't span further than one page fold then it can't move up or down since there is nothing to scroll. Does that make sense? Perhaps that is your problem?

Thanks for the responses.

My actual webpage is many pages long so I don't think the problem is with the actual anchor tags. My problem resides in my creation of a PowerPoint hyperlink that links to an anchor tag in my HTML file.

When I want to create a hyperlink, I browse to the path of where my HTML file lies and then I add, say, #2, if I want the link to go to the second anchor tag. Is this the correct syntax? When I create the hyperlink, I add the #2 at the end and test it out. It opens a browser window as it should but in the address bar, there is just the HTML file, not the #2 at the end.

For example, I want to link to index.html. So in PowerPoint, I browse to path and put: index.html#2. Then I click on the link in my PowerPoint slide and it opens up a browser window. In the address bar, is the path with simply: index.html at the end; the #2 part is missing. I am wondering if this is the correct syntax or if I am doing something wrong.

Perhaps you are editing the link title and not the actual link address?

For example:

<a href="link.html">link.html#2</a>

Last edited:
I understand what you are asking but no, I don't believe I'm editing the link title.

When I view my slideshow in Microsoft PowerPoint, I position my cursor over the link itself (without clicking) and I see that the link points to "link.html#2" However, when I actually click the link, it takes me to a page, link.html.

Can anybody try this on their home computers to see what I am doing wrong?

bump ... can anybody help?

noblerare said:
bump ... can anybody help?

can you zip the files and upload them here, then I can test

1. What is the purpose of an HTML anchor tag?

The HTML anchor tag, also known as the <a> tag, is used to create a clickable link to another webpage, document, or specific location within the same webpage. It is commonly used to navigate between different pages on a website.

2. How do I create an HTML anchor tag?

The basic syntax for creating an HTML anchor tag is <a href="url">link text</a>, where href is the attribute that specifies the destination of the link and "link text" is the text that will be displayed as the link. For example, <a href="https://www.example.com">Click here</a> will create a link that says "Click here" and directs the user to the website https://www.example.com when clicked.

3. Can I use an HTML anchor tag in a PowerPoint presentation?

Yes, you can use an HTML anchor tag in a PowerPoint presentation by inserting a hyperlink. In PowerPoint, go to the Insert tab, click on the Hyperlink button, and enter the URL or file path in the Address field. You can also select text or an image and use the same steps to turn it into a clickable link.

4. How can I make an HTML anchor tag open in a new tab?

To make an HTML anchor tag open in a new tab, you can add the target="_blank" attribute to the tag. This will open the link in a new browser tab when clicked. For example, <a href="https://www.example.com" target="_blank">Click here</a> will open the link in a new tab.

5. Can I use an HTML anchor tag to jump to a specific location within a PowerPoint presentation?

No, HTML anchor tags only work within webpages and cannot be used to jump to specific locations within a PowerPoint presentation. However, you can use the hyperlink feature in PowerPoint to create links that navigate between different slides in the presentation.