In Cube of resistances how to calculate current in one edge?

In summary: And from plane 2 to G we have 3 edges in parallel for... 1/3 ohm. So Rag is 1/6 ohm. In summary, Rag is 1/6 ohm.
agoogler

Homework Statement

Twelve resistors of equal resistance are connected so as to form a
cube ABCDEFGH shown. Equivalent resistance between points A
and G is 5/3 ohm. If a battery of voltage 100 V is connected across
the points A and G, find the current (in ampere) flowing through the
resistor CD.

ewzas.png

Homework Equations

V=IR
1/Rparallel = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ...
Rseries = R1 + R2 + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

V=IR
So 100=i*5/3 ( between A and G )
So current between A and G is i=60 .
But what now ? How to calculate current between C and D ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the symmetry and use KCL. I=60A current flows into A. It has three equivalent ways to flow: Towards B, D, and E.

The current flowing into D has two choices to flow further...ehild

ehild said:
Use the symmetry and use KCL. I=60A current flows into A. It has three equivalent ways to flow: Towards B, D, and E.

The current flowing into D has two choices to flow further...

ehild
Whats KCL? Also by symmetry do you mean that some of the currents are equal or what ?

agoogler said:
Whats KCL? Also by symmetry do you mean that some of the currents are equal or what ?

KCL is Kirchhoff's Current Low. By symmetry, I mean that equal currents flow along equivalent paths.

ehild

KCL = kirchhoff current law.

I would draw the equivalent circuit first. Do you know how to calculate the equivalent resistance between A and G? if you do then it might be easier.

CWatters said:
KCL = kirchhoff current law.

I would draw the equivalent circuit first. Do you know how to calculate the equivalent resistance between A and G? if you do then it might be easier.
Nope I don't know how to find equivalent resistance between A and G . Also by drawing equivalent circuit do you mean to convert this 3d cube into 2d circuit ? If so how to do that ?

agoogler said:
Nope I don't know how to find equivalent resistance between A and G . Also by drawing equivalent circuit do you mean to convert this 3d cube into 2d circuit ? If so how to do that ?

It is not needed. You are given the equivalent resistance. So you know the current flowing into the node A. How much current flows out of A along each resistor connected to A?

ehild

Follow Echild's advice. 60 amps flow out of node G and 60 amps flows into node A. By symmetry, the current flowing out of node G splits evenly between legs GH, GC, and GF. Also, by symmetry, the same 60 amp current converges evenly from BA, DA, and EA into node A. So, the current in all 6 of these legs is 20 amps. Now all you need to do is to use symmetry to figure out how the 20 amp current coming into node C from node G splits between legs CB and CD.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Follow Echild's advice. 60 amps flow out of node G and 60 amps flows into node A. By symmetry, the current flowing out of node G splits evenly between legs GH, GC, and GF. Also, by symmetry, the same 60 amp current converges evenly from BA, DA, and EA into node A. So, the current in all 6 of these legs is 20 amps. Now all you need to do is to use symmetry to figure out how the 20 amp current coming into node C from node G splits between legs CB and CD.

Chet
So the current splits evenly between CB and CD and so the current through CD is 10 amps . The answer is right but can you link me to a good online video/tutorial/guide/book which explains this "symmetry " thing ?

The traditional way to solve the resistor cube problem by applying symmetry...

http://www.rfcafe.com/miscellany/factoids/kirts-cogitations-256.htm#Traditional_Method

Also has other methods.

Thanks for the links guys !

For a cube with 12 identical resistors on each edge, I remember the resistance across corners as (5/6)*R, not (5/3)*R.

Claude

Claude,

The equivalent resistance was said 5/3 ohm, not 5/3 R. ehild

Well, if the edge resistance is R, then the diagonal resistance is 5/6 of R. With 1.0 ohm resistors on each edge, the catecorner resistance should be 5/6 ohm, not 5/3 ohm. I'm pretty sure I remember it right.

Take the 1st corner, draw a shorting plane through the vertices of the adjacent corners. Do the same at the diagonally opposite corner. What is the net resistance. If one corner is A, the other G, we compute Rag as follows. From A to plane 1 we have 3 edges in parallel for 1/3 ohm. From plane 1 to plane 2 we have 6 edges in parallel for 1/6 ohm. Then from plane 2 to G we have 3 edges in parallel for 1/3 ohm.

Rag = (1/3) + (1/6) + (1/3) = 5/6 ohm.

Claude

Last edited:
Where does it say that the resistors are 1 Ohm?

nasu said:
Where does it say that the resistors are 1 Ohm?

The OP stated that all 12 edges were equal in resistance. Call this value "R". I stated that the value of Rag = (5/6)*R. Then I was told that it was 5/3 ohm, which is incorrect. If each edge has R= 1.0 ohm, then Rag = (5/6) ohm.

You're right, 1.0 ohm is not stated in the OP. It is merely 12 edges of equal value "R". So the diagonal resistance Rag would be (5/6)*R. Is this clear?

Claude

cabraham said:
The OP stated that all 12 edges were equal in resistance. Call this value "R". I stated that the value of Rag = (5/6)*R. Then I was told that it was 5/3 ohm, which is incorrect. If each edge has R= 1.0 ohm, then Rag = (5/6) ohm.

You're right, 1.0 ohm is not stated in the OP. It is merely 12 edges of equal value "R". So the diagonal resistance Rag would be (5/6)*R. Is this clear?

Claude
Clear, bot not relevant for this problem.
The problem states that the resistance is 5/3 ohm. So you don't need the general formula.

An interesting results to remember, though.

nasu said:
The problem states that the resistance is 5/3 ohm. So you don't need the general formula.

Yes, but why remember it when it's so easy to calculate it?

nasu said:

So am I correct in understanding that 12 edges have identical R, with the diagonal value Rag being 5/3 ohm? Is that right?

Just for the record, in that scenario, the R value for each edge would be 2.00 ohms. Then 5/6 of 2.00, gives 10/6 ohm, or equivalently 5/3 ohm.

Claude

Read the first post :
Twelve resistors of equal resistance are connected so as to form a
cube ABCDEFGH shown. Equivalent resistance between points A
and G is 5/3 ohm.

ehild

1. How do you determine the resistance in a single edge of a cube?

The resistance in a single edge of a cube can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance equals voltage divided by current. You will need to know the voltage across the edge and the current flowing through it in order to calculate the resistance.

2. What is the formula for calculating current in one edge of an resistive cube?

The formula for calculating current in one edge of an resistive cube is I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance of the edge. This formula follows Ohm's law, which relates current, voltage, and resistance in an electrical circuit.

3. Can the current in a single edge of a cube of resistances be different for each edge?

Yes, the current in a single edge of a cube of resistances can be different for each edge. This is because each edge may have a different resistance value, which will affect the flow of current through that specific edge. However, the total current flowing through the entire cube will remain constant.

4. What factors can affect the current in one edge of an resistive cube?

The current in one edge of an resistive cube can be affected by factors such as the resistance of the edge, the voltage across the edge, and the presence of any other resistances or components in the circuit. Additionally, the material and dimensions of the cube itself can also impact the current flow.

5. How can I measure the current in one edge of a cube of resistances?

The current in one edge of a cube of resistances can be measured using a multimeter, which is a device that can measure electrical properties such as voltage, current, and resistance. Simply connect the multimeter to the edge you want to measure and set it to the appropriate setting for measuring current. Ensure that the circuit is closed and there is a complete path for the current to flow through the edge. The reading on the multimeter will indicate the current in that edge.