Can Kronecker Exponentiation be Simplified for Matrices in Different Forms?

• Thread starter prospero
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about deriving the Kronecker exponentiation relation for matrices A and B. The Kronecker sum is defined as A ⊕ B = A ⊗ I_m + B ⊗ I_n. The attempt at a solution involves simplifying the case of A, B, and I all being 2-by-2 matrices, and using properties of matrix exponentiation to prove the general case. The conversation also touches on the question of whether the statement is true for diagonalizable and Jordan form matrices.
prospero

Homework Statement

I am trying to derive the Kronecker exponentiation relation:

[tex] e^A \otimes e^B = e^{A \oplus B} [/tex]

with A,B as n-by-n and m-by-m matrices.

Homework Equations

Kronecker sum is defined as:

[tex] A \oplus B = A \otimes I_m + B \otimes I_n [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tackle the simpler case of A,B and I all being 2-by-2 matrices.

[tex] A \otimes I = \begin{bmatrix} A_{11} I & A_{12} I \\ A_{21} I & A_{22} I \end{bmatrix} [/tex]

and

[tex] I \otimes B = \begin{bmatrix} B & 0 \\ 0 & B \end{bmatrix} [/tex]

Then I can represent [itex] A \otimes I [/itex] as the sum of one diagonal and two nilpotent matrices. This makes their matrix exponentiation easier. [itex] I \otimes B [/itex] is a diagonal block matrix and exponentiating it, we get a block matrix with blocks of [itex] e^B [/itex] along the diagonal, i.e.:

[tex] e^{I \otimes B} = \begin{bmatrix} e^B & 0 \\ 0 & e^B \end{bmatrix} [/tex]

I tried multiplying the matrices together and it might have worked but it was taking too much time and it is clearly not feasible to prove the general case.

However I notice that [itex] e^{I \otimes B} = I \otimes e^B [/itex].

Now if we can write [itex] e^{A \otimes I} = e^A \otimes I [/itex] the problem is over since [itex] ( e^A \otimes I ) ( I \otimes e^B ) = e^A \otimes e^B [/itex].

However I am not aware of a property of matrix exponentiation that justifies the last step.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a way to tackle your last question. The statement is true if A is diagonal. Can you show it is true if A is diagonalizable? Can you show it is true if A is not diagonalizable but is in Jordan form? I believe if A is in Jordan form with blocks ##J_1, J_2 ... ## etc then ##e^A## is just ##e^{J_1}, e^{J_2},## etc.

Since most of the properties of the underlying matrices are the same under the Kronecker product, I think this would most likely work out.

What is Kronecker exponentiation?

Kronecker exponentiation is a mathematical operation that involves raising a square matrix to a positive integer power. It is named after the German mathematician Leopold Kronecker.

How is Kronecker exponentiation calculated?

To calculate Kronecker exponentiation, the matrix is first decomposed into its Jordan normal form. Then, each Jordan block is raised to the specified power and the resulting blocks are combined to form the final exponentiated matrix.

What is the significance of Kronecker exponentiation?

Kronecker exponentiation has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to solve systems of linear differential equations, compute the powers of a Markov matrix, and analyze the behavior of complex networks.

What are some properties of Kronecker exponentiation?

Kronecker exponentiation is associative, meaning that the order in which the matrices are exponentiated does not affect the result. It is also distributive over matrix addition and satisfies the property of matrix multiplication.

Are there any limitations to Kronecker exponentiation?

One limitation of Kronecker exponentiation is that it can only be applied to square matrices. Additionally, it may not produce a finite result if the eigenvalues of the matrix are not within the convergence radius of the chosen power.