Master Distance-Time Graphs with these Helpful Tips!

• Thread starter mastershake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses how to graph different scenarios involving an object starting at the origin and traveling at different speeds. The participants also mention adjusting the scale of the graph based on the given units and the length of time the graph will cover. They also discuss the slope of the graph representing the velocity and the importance of plotting the points accurately. One participant suggests using larger increments on the graph to save space.
mastershake
How would you graph these?
A. Starting at the origin, travels at 5m/sec
B.Starting at origin, travels at 7m/sec
C.starting at origin, remains at rest
D. Starting 3 meters from the origin, travels at 5m/sec
I have no idea where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
you are given units, so set each axis according to units given. How long do you need to carry out these graphs? If it is a long time you should adjust your scale accordingly.

Hint: Slope of the d VS t graph is its velocity.

So, I know that meters would be on the y-axis and seconds on the x-axis, but I don't know how I would plot those given numbers. The slope for A is 5/1, so I would just go up 5 and over 1 then plot the point?

Last edited:
mastershake said:
So, I know that meters would be on the y-axis and seconds on the x-axis, but I don't know how I would plot those given numbers. The slope for A is 5/1, so I would just go up 5 and over 1 then plot the point?

That's right.

Would I draw the line to the right with an arrow on the end?

But if your grapps is for like 100 meters i would personally go up by 5 or 10 meter increments because it would make the graph take up less room, just a thought to keep in mind.

It is not a big graph with a lot of numbers, but thanks anyways. Thanks for the help ysk1.

I never said it had a lot of numbers what i ment was that it if it was drawn out over a long amount of time and distance i would adjust the axies accordingly. I guess i didnt make myself clear...

Related to Master Distance-Time Graphs with these Helpful Tips!

1. What is a distance-time graph?

A distance-time graph is a visual representation of the relationship between distance and time. It shows how far an object has traveled over a period of time.

2. How do you interpret a distance-time graph?

To interpret a distance-time graph, you can look at the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a faster speed, while a flatter slope indicates a slower speed. The distance traveled can also be determined by looking at the y-axis, while the time can be determined by looking at the x-axis.

3. What does a horizontal line on a distance-time graph mean?

A horizontal line on a distance-time graph means that the object is not moving, as the distance remains the same over time.

4. How can you calculate speed using a distance-time graph?

Speed can be calculated by finding the slope of the line on a distance-time graph. The slope formula is rise over run, which means dividing the change in distance by the change in time.

5. What are the units of measurement on a distance-time graph?

The x-axis on a distance-time graph is typically labeled with units of time, such as seconds, minutes, or hours. The y-axis is labeled with units of distance, such as meters, kilometers, or miles, depending on the scale of the graph.