Possible Integration Problem

• Thread starter cmajor47
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: No, it is not right! You know that when you evaluate an integral you must use the Fundamental theorem of Calculus to evaluate the integral of a derivative. Here you have the integral of a constant and you should get a constant. To integrate 18 cos(\pi t/6) you need to use the fact that the integral of cos(x) is sin(x). Here you have the integral of cos(\pi t/6) so you must use the fact that the integral of cos(\pi t/6) is (1/\pi)sin(\pi t/6).
cmajor47

Homework Statement

The mean daily temperature in degrees fahrenheit in Athens, GA, t months after July 15 is closely approximated by T=61+18cos(πt/6)
Find the average temp. between September 15 (t=2) and December 25 (t=5).

Homework Equations

T=61+18cos(πt/6)

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I just plug in t=2 and t=5 into the equation, add the answers, then divide by two to get the average temp. Or do I have to use integration. I'm not sure because the question is asked in the chapter on integration but it doesn't look like I need to use it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to find the average of the function by integration. Adding and dividing by two works if the function is linear. For example, suppose that between t = 2 and t = 4.9 the temperature is 40 and between t = 4.9 and t = 5 it is -10. Then surely you would disagree if I said that the average temperature between t = 2 and t = 5 was (40 - 10)/2 = 15 degrees?

Last edited:
You have to use integration. The reason for this is because your function [tex]t: [a,b] \rightarrow R[/tex] is continuous. By the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals then there is a point [tex]x_{0}[/tex] in [a,b] such that

[tex]\frac{1}{b-a} \int_a^{b} t = t(x_{0})[/tex] where [a,b] is [2,5].

I tried using the Mean Value Theorem and came up with this.
[tex]
\frac{1}{5-2}\int_2^{5} 61+18\cos\frac{\pi t}{6} dt = 61+18\cos\frac{\pi t_{0}}{6}[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{1}{3} 61t+\frac{108}{\pi}sin\frac{\pi t}{6} \mid_2^{5} = \frac{-\sqrt3+1}{\pi}[/tex]

[tex]
61+18cos\frac{\pi t_{0}}{6} = \frac{-\sqrt3+1}{\pi}[/tex]

[tex]t_{0}\approx 3.449[/tex]

When I plug this into [tex]61+18cos\frac{\pi t}{6}[/tex] I get approximately 56.8056. Is this right?

Last edited:
cmajor47 said:
[tex]
\frac{1}{5-2}\int_2^{5} 61+18\cos\frac{\pi t}{6} dt = 61+18\cos\frac{\pi t_{0}}{6}[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{1}{3} 61t+\frac{108}{\pi}sin\frac{\pi t}{6} \mid_2^{5} = \frac{-\sqrt3+1}{\pi}[/tex]

[tex]

When I plug this into [tex]61+18cos\frac{\pi t}{6}[/tex] I get approximately 56.8056. Is this right?

assuming that you got initial equations correct, I also got same answer ..

>> int ('1/3*(61+18*cos(pi*t/6))','t',2,5)

ans =

-(-61*pi+18*3^(1/2)-18)/pi

>> eval(ans)

ans =

>> (ans-61)/18

ans =

>> acos(ans)

ans =

>> ans*6/pi

ans =

>>

EDIT: ONLY THING I WOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT IS USING ACOS VALUE OF CALCULATOR, IT IS WRONG SOMETIMES ... (I will see into this) but 3.4492 looks reasonable

Last edited:
The answer is correct. No need for the mean value theorem:
[tex]\operatorname{avg}\limits_{[a,b]} f(x) = \frac{1}{b - a} \int_a^b f(x) \, \mathrm dx[/tex]
so in this case the average temperature is
[tex]61 + \frac{1}{3} \int 18 \cos(\pi t / 6) \, \mathrm dt = 61 + 6 \left[ \frac{6}{\pi} \sin(\pi t / 6) \right]_{t = 2}^{t = 5} = 61 + \frac{18}{\pi} \left( 1 - \sqrt{3} \right) [/tex]
which evaluates numerically to approximately 56.8057.

I must say that I am not at all crazy about the way you write things!
cmajor47 said:
[tex]
No, that is NOT correct! For one thing the integral of 61 is 61 t, for another you haven't yet evaluated at the limits of integration and finally, you have dropped the "1/(5-2)".

[tex]
Okay, now you have put them in but do you see that you shouldn't write "=" in the first row when they are NOT equal?

[tex]

1. What is a "Possible Integration Problem"?

A "Possible Integration Problem" refers to a situation where two or more systems or components need to be integrated together to function as one cohesive unit. This can include integrating different software systems, hardware components, or even different departments within an organization.

2. Why is integration important in the scientific field?

Integration is important in the scientific field because it allows for better collaboration and communication between different researchers and their findings. It also helps to streamline processes and increase efficiency in conducting experiments and analyzing data.

3. What are some common challenges faced when integrating scientific systems?

Some common challenges faced when integrating scientific systems include compatibility issues between different systems, data transfer and conversion problems, and lack of standardized protocols or formats for data sharing.

4. How do scientists approach solving integration problems?

Scientists typically approach solving integration problems by first identifying the specific systems or components that need to be integrated, and then by analyzing their requirements and capabilities. They may also use specialized software or tools to help with the integration process.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with integration in the scientific field?

Yes, there can be potential risks associated with integration in the scientific field, such as data loss or corruption, security breaches, and delays in research progress. It is important for scientists to carefully plan and test their integration processes to minimize these risks.