Difficult Separable Integration Problem

In summary, the problem is to find a Q that is a function of T and x. The equation for Q is ##Q=-1*K(T)*(H*W)*(dT/dx)+((I^2)(p)(dx)/(H*W))## where the constants c_1 and c_2 are unknown.
argpirate

Homework Statement

Q=-1*K(T)*(H*W)*(dT/dx)+((I^2)(p)(dx)/(H*W))

K(T)=(197.29-.06333333(T+273))
H=0.01905
W=0.06604
I=700
p=10*10^-6
Q=some constant

Please separate and differentiate to solve for Q using variables of T and x.

Boundaries:
T: Upper=T1 (constant)
Lower=T0 (constant)

x: Upper=L (constant)
Lower=0 (obv. constant)

Homework Equations

a=dT/dx ----> a*dx=dT ----> integrate ax|=T|

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in all the values and tried to make common denominator to move dx to the Q side. But I could never get around getting rid of the dx in the numerator on the right side of the plus symbol in the original equation. Also, i wasnt sure whether to double integrate with boundaries for both integrals (was sort of weird)... Please help. Been working on this for a long time and can't figure out a way to manipulate it. Main issue is the two dx's and only one dT, so straight up integration won't work bc you would be integrating a dx when there is no dT left.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me see if I get this right, your equation looks like ##Q=c_1K(T)\frac{dT}{dx}+c_2dx## where ##c_1,c_2## constants right? If yes , then you can ignore the ##c_2dx## term like it doesn't exist.

The reason is that if you take the ##\lim_{dx\rightarrow 0}## in both sides of the equation you ll end up with an equation that will be

##Q=c_1K(T(x))T'(x)## which is fairly easy to solve.

Likes argpirate
Where do you see somewhere where T(x). There is no function for that. Can only use the information given.

argpirate said:
Where do you see somewhere where T(x). There is no function for that. Can only use the information given.
It has to be a function of x, otherwise ##\frac{dT}{dx}## is zero hence the whole equation is Q=0.

Likes argpirate
Okay thanks. I finished this problem before I posted it on here. I was just looking for a method that involved separation and integration. In my original solution (which was successful), I had to make a T(x) equation. I was trying to look for a method that didn't involve this.

argpirate said:
Q=-1*K(T)*(H*W)*(dT/dx)+((I^2)(p)(dx)/(H*W))
Is that a correct statement of the problem as given to you? That isolated dx makes looks wrong, and I don't see where "separable integration" comes in. If you mean separation of variables, that is usually in the context of a differential equation involving one dependent variable and two or more independent. Delta2 proposes to ignore the dx, but I suspect a typo.

1. What is a difficult separable integration problem?

A difficult separable integration problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the antiderivative of a function that cannot be easily separated into simpler parts. This means that traditional integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, cannot be used to solve the problem.

2. How do you approach a difficult separable integration problem?

The first step in approaching a difficult separable integration problem is to identify the type of function you are dealing with. This can help determine which techniques or methods may be useful in solving the problem. It is also important to carefully analyze the function and look for any patterns or similarities to other functions that you may be familiar with.

3. What are some strategies for solving difficult separable integration problems?

Some strategies for solving difficult separable integration problems include using trigonometric identities, partial fractions, or integration by substitution. Another approach is to break the function into smaller, more manageable parts and then integrate each part separately. Additionally, numerical methods such as Simpson's rule or Monte Carlo integration can be used for more complex problems.

4. How do you know when to give up on solving a difficult separable integration problem?

If you have exhausted all possible techniques and methods for solving the problem and still cannot find a solution, it may be time to consider alternative approaches or seek help from a colleague or tutor. It is important to remember that not all integration problems can be solved analytically and sometimes numerical methods may be necessary.

5. What are some real-world applications of difficult separable integration problems?

Difficult separable integration problems are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve complex systems and equations. They can also be used in finance to calculate investment returns and in biology to analyze population growth. Additionally, these problems are important in the development and improvement of numerical methods for integration.