Combine Mg2+ & CrO42- and Sr2+ & SO42- - Answers Included

• Thread starter ncmm16
  • Start date
In summary, CrO_{4} ^{2-} is the chromate ion and can be combined with Mg^{2+} to form MgCrO_{4}. Similarly, Sr^{2+} can be combined with SO_{4}^{2-} to form SrSO_{4}. Parentheses are not needed in either case as the net charge of the resulting compound is zero.
ncmm16
what is CrO42- in chemistry?

how do you combine the formula for Mg2+ and CrO42-
please explain and show work thanks :approve:
Well my guess would be that its... MgO4?ALSO: how do you combine Sr2+ and SO42-
it would be SrSO4 right? or would it be Sr4SO and does the SO need parentheses around it?
ah please help I am confusing myself:confused:

and sorry for messing up the last part. (fixed)

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
CrO[tex]_{4}[/tex] [tex]^{2-}[/tex] is the chromate ion. For your other question, show an attempt at figuring it out yourself and you'll be more likely to get help. Or if you're really that confused, which part do you not understand about it? I'll help you with the question, but no one here is going to just give you the answer.

And for the last part, you gave magnesium and sulfate ions in the problem, and then when you worked it out you used the carbonate ion. I think you may have typed the wrong thing, so if you clear that up I'll be glad to help

It would be Sr(SO4) The ending compound must have a net charge of zero, the Sr ion has a 2+ charge and the ionic compound SO4 has a 2- charge, meaning you would need only need one of each to have a net charge of zero.

Missionz12 said:
It would be Sr(SO4)

No need for brackets, SrSO4 will do.

--
methods

Right sorry, the parenthesis would have only been needed if there were more than one of the SO4 ions.

Related to Combine Mg2+ & CrO42- and Sr2+ & SO42- - Answers Included

1. What happens when you combine Mg2+ and CrO42-?

When Mg2+ and CrO42- are combined, they will form magnesium chromate (MgCrO4). This is a yellow solid that is insoluble in water.

2. How do you balance the equation for the reaction between Sr2+ and SO42-?

The balanced equation for the reaction between Sr2+ and SO42- is: Sr2+ + SO42- → SrSO4. This means that for every one strontium ion, there needs to be one sulfate ion in order to form strontium sulfate (SrSO4).

3. What is the chemical formula for the product of combining Mg2+ and CrO42-?

The chemical formula for the product of combining Mg2+ and CrO42- is MgCrO4. This is the chemical formula for magnesium chromate.

4. Is the reaction between Mg2+ and CrO42- exothermic or endothermic?

The reaction between Mg2+ and CrO42- is an exothermic reaction. This means that it releases heat energy as it occurs.

5. What is the charge of the resulting compound when Sr2+ and SO42- are combined?

The resulting compound when Sr2+ and SO42- are combined is neutral, with no overall charge. This is because the charges of strontium (Sr2+) and sulfate (SO42-) ions cancel each other out.