Locating a Sinking Ship & Rescue Plane

• Thread starter 3.14159265358979
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane Ship
In summary: The base of this triangle is the vector from the plane to the ship and the height is the vector from the ship to the radar.The plane is at a distance of 19.6 km from the ship and has an elevation of 2.2 km. The ship is bearing 136 degrees from north and is moving in a clockwise direction at a speed of 10 m/s.
A radar station locates a sinking ship at range 17.3 km and bearing 136 degrees clockwise from north. From the same station a rescue plane is at horizontal range 19.6 km, 153 degrees clockwise from north, with elevation 2.2 km.
(a) write the position vector for the ship relative to the plane (where i is east, j north and k up)
(b) how far apart are the plane and ship?

okay, first of all, i don't think i even understand the problem. I'm not sure how to draw a picture for the plane. I'm sure it'll have to be in a 3D plane, but i can't picture it. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
3.14159265358979 said:
i'm sure it'll have to be in a 3D plane, but i can't picture it. thanks.

In this kind of questions, always assume the plane to be a 1D point. Picture the boat as a 1D point as well - 1D as in a dot: .

You can start with a coordinate system with the radar station at the origin: the positive x-axis is east, the positive y-axis is north, and the positive z axis is up. (Thus from the radar station the vectors i, j, and k move 1 unit along, respectively, the x, y, and z axes.)

If you imagine a circle with radius 17.3 km centered on the radar station (i.e. the origin), you can locate the ship at the appropriate spot on the circle. Once you convert the angle to a more standard form, you have polar coordinates for the ship in the xy-plane – these can be converted to Cartesian coordinates. x and y coordinates can be found similarly for the plane. z coordinates for both vehicles come directly from the data you specified.

So now you have xyz-coordinates for each vehicle which are easy to rewrite as position vectors relative to the radar station. From these two vectors, it is then straightforward to find the relative position vector from one vehicle to the other.

Last edited:
This is a simple problem in vector addition. Draw the two vectors from the radar antenna to the plane and the ship. Now use what you have learned of Vector addition to find the vector from the plane to the ship. Think about the the triangle formed when you consider the height of the plane and the vector from the plane to the ship.

1. How do you locate a sinking ship?

To locate a sinking ship, scientists use various methods such as sonar technology, satellite imagery, and radio signals. Sonar technology uses sound waves to map out the ocean floor and identify any objects or anomalies. Satellite imagery can also be used to identify the location of a sinking ship from above. Radio signals can be used to track the distress signal from the ship's emergency beacon.

2. What tools are used to locate a sinking ship?

Some of the tools used to locate a sinking ship include echosounders, acoustic cameras, and side-scan sonar. Echosounders send out sound waves and measure how long it takes for them to bounce back, which can help determine the depth of the water and any objects in it. Acoustic cameras use sound waves to create images of the ocean floor, while side-scan sonar can produce detailed images of the ship's hull and surrounding area.

3. How long does it take to locate a sinking ship?

The time it takes to locate a sinking ship can vary depending on the size of the ship, the depth of the water, and the resources available. In some cases, it can take hours or even days to locate a sinking ship. However, with advanced technology and efficient search and rescue operations, it is possible to locate a sinking ship within a few hours.

4. What is the process for rescuing passengers from a sinking ship?

The process for rescuing passengers from a sinking ship involves several steps. First, the location of the ship must be determined using the methods mentioned above. Once the location is known, rescue teams can be dispatched to the area. The rescue team will then use boats, helicopters, or other means of transportation to reach the sinking ship and evacuate the passengers to safety.

5. How do you locate a rescue plane in distress?

To locate a rescue plane in distress, scientists use similar methods to those used for locating a sinking ship. This includes using satellite imagery, radio signals, and other technology to identify the location of the plane. In some cases, air traffic control can also help track the plane's last known location and communicate with the pilot to determine their current location.