How Can You Approximate 8.1^(1/3) Using a Tangent Line?

The slope of the tangent line is found to be 1/12 and the y-intercept is 4/3. To find the approximation, the equation of the tangent line (y = 1/12 * x + 4/3) is used, with the value of x as 8.1. The corresponding value of y is found to be 2.0083333333333333, which is the approximation for (8.1)^(1/3). Another way to find the approximation is by using the
Neil6790
Let f(x) = x^(1/3). The equation of the tangent line to f(x) at x = 8 can be written in the form y = mx+b where m is: and where b is:
Using this, we find our approximation for 8.1^(1.3) is:

I found the slope to be 1/12
I found b to be 1.3333333333333333333
I still can't get the answer for the approximation for 8.1^(1/3).
I plugged it correctly in the mx+b equation but it won't work.
Is there another way to do this? Please help.

Neil

Physics news on Phys.org

The exact equation for your tangent line at (8, 2) is
y = 1/12 * x + 4/3

When x = 8.1, what is the value of y on the tangent line? That's your approximation for (8.1)^(1/3).

Perhaps simpler: y= (1/12)(x- 8)+ 2.

Edited thanks to Mark44.

Last edited by a moderator:

HallsofIvy said:
Perhaps simpler: y= (1/12)(x- 4)+ 2

Halls,
The line has to pass through (8, 2), not (4, 2). You might have overlooked the fact that we're dealing with the cube root function, not the square root function.
Mark

Thanks a lot for the help. I was able to get the answer.

Neil

1. What is a math approximation problem?

A math approximation problem is a mathematical question or equation that requires an estimate or close value rather than an exact answer. This may be due to the complexity of the problem or the lack of precise data.

2. How do you solve a math approximation problem?

To solve a math approximation problem, you can use various techniques such as rounding, estimation, or using mathematical formulas to get a close or approximate answer. It is important to understand the problem and the level of accuracy needed before choosing a method.

3. What are the benefits of using approximation in math?

Approximation in math allows for a quicker and simpler solution to complex problems. It also helps in situations where exact values are not necessary, and an estimate is sufficient. Additionally, approximation can help in identifying patterns and trends in data.

4. Can you provide an example of a math approximation problem?

An example of a math approximation problem could be calculating the area of a circle with a diameter of 7 inches. The exact value for the area would require the use of pi, but an approximate answer can be obtained by rounding pi to 3.14 and using the formula for area, A = πr^2. This would give an approximate answer of 38.465 square inches.

5. How accurate should an approximation be in math?

The level of accuracy needed for an approximation in math depends on the problem at hand. In some cases, a rough estimate may be sufficient, while in others, a more precise approximation is required. It is important to consider the context of the problem and the level of accuracy needed before choosing an approximation method.