Calculate Hydrostatic Force on 4x3 ft Triangle in 6 ft Tank

In summary, the formula for calculating hydrostatic force is F = ρghA, where F is the force in Newtons, ρ is the density of the fluid in kilograms per cubic meter, g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared, h is the depth of the fluid in meters, and A is the area of the surface in contact with the fluid in square meters. The density of the fluid can be determined by referencing its material safety data sheet or by using the formula ρ = m/V, where ρ is the density in kg/m³, m is the mass in kilograms, and V is the volume in cubic meters. The standard value for acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s
phil45
A tank that is filled 6 feet deep with water has a 4x3 foot, right triangular plate submerged into it so the 3 foot side is parallel to the bottom of the tank. The top of the triangle is one foot below the surface. Calculate the hydrostatic force on one of it's sides. The density of water is approximately 62.5 lbs/ft^2.

I went through it once and got 1375 lbs, but I'm not sure if that is correct

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you don't show any work at all, I can only say, no, I don't get anything like that. How did you get that answer?

1. What is the formula for calculating hydrostatic force?

The formula for calculating hydrostatic force is F = ρghA, where F is the force in Newtons, ρ is the density of the fluid in kilograms per cubic meter, g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared, h is the depth of the fluid in meters, and A is the area of the surface in contact with the fluid in square meters.

2. How do I determine the density of the fluid in the tank?

The density of the fluid can be found in its material safety data sheet (MSDS) or by measuring its mass and volume and using the formula ρ = m/V, where ρ is the density in kg/m³, m is the mass in kilograms, and V is the volume in cubic meters.

3. What is the value for acceleration due to gravity?

The standard value for acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s², but it may vary slightly depending on location and altitude. It is important to use the accurate value for the specific location when calculating hydrostatic force.

4. How do I calculate the area of a triangle?

The area of a triangle can be calculated using the formula A = 1/2 × b × h, where A is the area, b is the base of the triangle, and h is the height of the triangle. In the case of a 4x3 ft triangle, the base would be 4 ft and the height would be 3 ft, resulting in an area of 6 square feet.

5. Can I use this formula for any shape or size of object in a tank?

Yes, this formula can be used for any shape or size of object in a tank as long as the object is fully submerged in the fluid. However, the area used in the formula may vary depending on the shape of the object. For example, a cylindrical object would use the formula A = πr², where r is the radius of the cylinder's base.