Proving Approximation for Relativity Math Problem | T^2 << (c^2/alpha^2)

In summary: Thanks a lot that does it! Also gives me another question and that is how to find that arcsinh(x)=x-x^3/3!+...? Here's one way. The derivative of arcsinh x is (1+x^2)^{-1/2} so use the binomial series to find the series for that, then integrate term by term. You only need a few terms anyway, not the whole series.A physicist would just take {T}\approx{t}(1+\frac{\alpha^2{t^2}}{6c^2
faklif

Homework Statement

This comes from a book on relativity but it basically comes down to a math problem. The problem is to prove that if
[tex]T^2 \ll\frac{c^2}{\alpha^2}[/tex]
then
[tex]{t}\approx{T}(1-\frac{\alpha^2{T^2}}{6c^2})[/tex]
given
[tex]\frac{\alpha{T}}{c}=sinh(\frac{\alpha{t}}{c})[/tex]

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried solving for t from the equation
[tex]\frac{\alpha{T}}{c}=sinh(\frac{\alpha{t}}{c})[/tex]
which gives
[tex]t=\frac{c}{\alpha}\log(\frac{T\alpha}{c}+\sqrt{1+\frac{T^2\alpha^2}{c^2}})[/tex]
I thought I'd be able to use maclaurin expansion at this point becuase of how the approximation looks but I keep making mistakes and I'm not getting anywhere at the moment so I'd really appreciate some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What if you tried writing the hyperbolic sine function in terms of exponential functions first? Their Taylor expansions are easy...

cepheid said:
What if you tried writing the hyperbolic sine function in terms of exponential functions first? Their Taylor expansions are easy...

Thanks for the reply!

Using the first four terms of each of the expansions I end up with what looks like the some kind of opposite to what I want
[tex]
{T}\approx{t}(1+\frac{\alpha^2{t^2}}{6c^2})
[/tex]
I can't see that I can get where I want from this and I haven't used all information in the problem to get here, maybe I'm missing something.

faklif said:
Thanks for the reply!

Using the first four terms of each of the expansions I end up with what looks like the some kind of opposite to what I want
[tex]
[/tex]
I can't see that I can get where I want from this and I haven't used all information in the problem to get here, maybe I'm missing something.

You need to reverse the roles of t and T. You could also write at/c=arcsinh(aT/c) and use arcsinh(x)=x-x^3/3!+...

No reason in the world to be always writing hyperbolic functions as exponentials!

sihh(0)= 0.
(sinh(x))'= cosh(x) and cosh(0)= 1.
(sinh(x))"= (cosh(x))'= sinh(x) and sinh(0)= 0.
(sinh(x))'''= (sinh(x))'= cosh(x) and cosh(0)= 1, etc.

faklif said:
I can't see that I can get where I want from this
Well, have you at least substituted that approximation into [itex]T(1-\frac{\alpha^2{T^2}}{6c^2})[/itex]?

Dick said:
You need to reverse the roles of t and T. You could also write at/c=arcsinh(aT/c) and use arcsinh(x)=x-x^3/3!+...

Thanks a lot that does it! Also gives me another question and that is how to find that arcsinh(x)=x-x^3/3!+...? My thought of simply solving for t and then looking at what I got didn't really get me there.

Hurkyl said:
Well, have you at least substituted that approximation into [itex]T(1-\frac{\alpha^2{T^2}}{6c^2})[/itex]?

How can I do that substitution? I'm feeling very rusty here, I'm sorry.

faklif said:
Also gives me another question and that is how to find that arcsinh(x)=x-x^3/3!+...?

Here's one way. The derivative of arcsinh x is [tex](1+x^2)^{-1/2}[/tex] so use the binomial series to find the series for that, then integrate term by term. You only need a few terms anyway, not the whole series.

A physicist would just take
[tex]

[/tex]
and say, hey, that means t=T with correction of higher order. So I can just replace t^2 with T^2 without making any errors I would care about. So I can change that into
[tex]

{T}\approx{t}(1+\frac{\alpha^2{T^2}}{6c^2})

[/tex]
Now move all the T's to one side and use 1/(1+x) is approximately equal to 1-x for x<<1.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!

1. What is an approximation?

An approximation is a value or estimate that is close to the actual value, but not necessarily exact. It is often used in situations where the exact value cannot be determined, or when a more precise calculation is not necessary.

2. Why is it important to show an approximation?

Showing an approximation can help simplify complex calculations and make them easier to understand. It can also be useful when the exact value is not known or when it is not feasible to calculate it.

3. How is an approximation calculated?

The method for calculating an approximation depends on the specific situation. In some cases, it may involve using a formula or mathematical algorithm. In others, it may involve using data or measurements to estimate a value.

4. What are the limitations of using an approximation?

An approximation is not always completely accurate and may have some degree of error. The level of accuracy depends on the method used to calculate the approximation and the amount of information available. In some cases, a more precise calculation may be necessary.

5. Can an approximation be improved?

Yes, an approximation can often be improved by using more accurate data or a more precise calculation method. However, there will always be some degree of uncertainty or error in an approximation, and it may not be possible to achieve an exact value.