CSTR vs. BSTR system open or closed

by Woopydalan
Tags: bstr, cstr
Woopydalan
Sep15-13, 08:55 PM
P: 746
Hello,

I was wondering, is it the case that a CSTR is an open system because there is flow passing in and out of the tank, thus passing the control volume, so it's open.

Similarly for a BSTR, the fact that there is no flow means that it is closed? I mean in that sense, a beaker with a chemical reaction going inside of it is a BSTR right? Isn't that open to the environment, so why is it not considered an open system?

Is the way that closed/open system is used for the tank reactors the same meaning as for the usual meaning of a closed or open system (i.e. nothing interacts with the system from the environment?)
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
WSU innovation improves drowsy driver detection
Faster computation of electromagnetic interference on an electronic circuit board
Chestermiller
Sep16-13, 08:08 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 4,505
Quote Quote by Woopydalan View Post
Hello,

I was wondering, is it the case that a CSTR is an open system because there is flow passing in and out of the tank, thus passing the control volume, so it's open.

Similarly for a BSTR, the fact that there is no flow means that it is closed? I mean in that sense, a beaker with a chemical reaction going inside of it is a BSTR right? Isn't that open to the environment, so why is it not considered an open system?

Is the way that closed/open system is used for the tank reactors the same meaning as for the usual meaning of a closed or open system (i.e. nothing interacts with the system from the environment?)
A closed system is one in which no mass enters or leaves.
An open system is one in which mass enters and/or leaves.

Register to reply