CSTR vs. BSTR system open or closed

by Woopydalan
Tags: bstr, cstr
Woopydalan
Sep15-13, 08:55 PM
P: 746
Hello,

I was wondering, is it the case that a CSTR is an open system because there is flow passing in and out of the tank, thus passing the control volume, so it's open.

Similarly for a BSTR, the fact that there is no flow means that it is closed? I mean in that sense, a beaker with a chemical reaction going inside of it is a BSTR right? Isn't that open to the environment, so why is it not considered an open system?

Is the way that closed/open system is used for the tank reactors the same meaning as for the usual meaning of a closed or open system (i.e. nothing interacts with the system from the environment?)
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
Chestermiller
Sep16-13, 08:08 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 4,444
Quote Quote by Woopydalan View Post
Hello,

I was wondering, is it the case that a CSTR is an open system because there is flow passing in and out of the tank, thus passing the control volume, so it's open.

Similarly for a BSTR, the fact that there is no flow means that it is closed? I mean in that sense, a beaker with a chemical reaction going inside of it is a BSTR right? Isn't that open to the environment, so why is it not considered an open system?

Is the way that closed/open system is used for the tank reactors the same meaning as for the usual meaning of a closed or open system (i.e. nothing interacts with the system from the environment?)
A closed system is one in which no mass enters or leaves.
An open system is one in which mass enters and/or leaves.

Register to reply