Prove "dim U \geq dim V - dim W" Linear Map Question

That will certainly satisfy null T= U. Now, what is dim null T? What is dim range T? You can use those to show that dim V- dim W\le dim U.In summary, we are trying to prove that there exists a linear transformation T such that null T = U if and only if dim U \geq dim V - dim W. To do this, we use the fact that range T is a subspace of W and the theorem that states that if V is a finite dimensional vector space and T \in L(V,W), then range T is a finite-dimensional subspace of W and dim V = dim null T + dim range T. In the forward direction, we show
jimmypoopins

Homework Statement

Suppose that V and W are finite dimensional and that U is a subspace of V. Prove that there exists [tex]T \in L(V,W)[/tex] such that null T = U if and only if [tex]dim U \geq dim V - dim W.[/tex]

Homework Equations

thm: If [tex]T \in L(V,W)[/tex], then range T is a subspace of W.

thm: If V is a finite dimensional vector space and [tex]T \in L(V,W)[/tex] then range T is a finite-dimensional subspace of W and dim V = dim null T + dim range T.

The Attempt at a Solution

forward direction: by thm, range T is a subspace of W implies that
[tex]dim range T \leq dim range W[/tex].

by thm, dim V = dim null T + dim range T
dim V = dim U + dim range T (since U = null T)
dim V - dim range T = dim U

[tex]dim V - dim W \leq dim U[/tex] since [tex]dim range T \leq dim range W[/tex].

i think the forward direction is good. comments?

backward direction:
we have [tex]dim V - dim W \leq dim U[/tex]. Let [tex](u_{1},...,u_{n})[/tex] be a basis for U. extend this to a basis for V: [tex](u_{1},...,u_{n},u_{n+1},...u_{m})[/tex]. then dim U = n, and dim V = m. Then any [tex]v \in V[/tex] can be written as [tex]a_{1}u_{1}+...+a_{m}u_{m}[/tex].

I think I'm in the right direction but I'm confused as to what to do. since we have dim V - dim W is less than dim U, i want to say that dim W is greater than or equal to m, but i don't know how to define T so that null T = U. If i make all of the T(u_i} in the basis 0, then null T = U, but how does that relate to the relation of [tex]dim V - dim W \leq dim U[/tex]?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmypoopins said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that V and W are finite dimensional and that U is a subspace of V. Prove that there exists [tex]T \in L(V,W)[/tex] such that null T = U if and only if [tex]dim U \geq dim V - dim W.[/tex]

Homework Equations

thm: If [tex]T \in L(V,W)[/tex], then range T is a subspace of W.

thm: If V is a finite dimensional vector space and [tex]T \in L(V,W)[/tex] then range T is a finite-dimensional subspace of W and dim V = dim null T + dim range T.

The Attempt at a Solution

forward direction: by thm, range T is a subspace of W implies that
[tex]dim range T \leq dim range W[/tex].

by thm, dim V = dim null T + dim range T
dim V = dim U + dim range T (since U = null T)
dim V - dim range T = dim U

[tex]dim V - dim W \leq dim U[/tex] since [tex]dim range T \leq dim range W[/tex].

i think the forward direction is good. comments?
Yes, thatis correct. I had to stop and think about it for a moment. Since range T is a subset of W, dim Range T[itex]\le[/itex] dim W. Therefore, -dim Range T[itex]\ge[/itex] -dim W, therefore dim V- dim W[itex]\le[/itex]dimV- dim Range T= dim U.

backward direction:
we have [tex]dim V - dim W \leq dim U[/tex]. Let [tex](u_{1},...,u_{n})[/tex] be a basis for U. extend this to a basis for V: [tex](u_{1},...,u_{n},u_{n+1},...u_{m})[/tex]. then dim U = n, and dim V = m. Then any [tex]v \in V[/tex] can be written as [tex]a_{1}u_{1}+...+a_{m}u_{m}[/tex].

I think I'm in the right direction but I'm confused as to what to do. since we have dim V - dim W is less than dim U, i want to say that dim W is greater than or equal to m, but i don't know how to define T so that null T = U. If i make all of the T(u_i} in the basis 0, then null T = U, but how does that relate to the relation of [tex]dim V - dim W \leq dim U[/tex]?

thanks.
Think about what you want to prove: if dim V- dim W[itex]\le[/itex] dim U, then there exists a linear transformation T such that null T= U. dim V- dim W[itex]\le[/itex] dim U means dim V- dim U[itex]\le[/itex] dim W. Choose a basis for U, extend it to a basis for V. Now, define T so that Tu= 0 for any basis vector of U. Tv, for v a basis vector for v not in the basis for U, can be anything in W.

1. What is the significance of the inequality "dim U \geq dim V - dim W" in a linear map?

The inequality "dim U \geq dim V - dim W" in a linear map indicates that the dimension of the subspace U is greater than or equal to the difference between the dimensions of the subspaces V and W. This means that the subspace U is at least as large as the difference between the other two subspaces, and it could potentially be even larger.

2. How is the dimension of a subspace related to a linear map?

The dimension of a subspace is directly related to a linear map because the dimension represents the number of linearly independent vectors in a subspace. A linear map is a function that preserves vector addition and scalar multiplication, so it maps linearly independent vectors to other linearly independent vectors. Therefore, the dimension of a subspace is preserved under linear maps.

3. Are there any cases where "dim U \geq dim V - dim W" does not hold true for a linear map?

No, the inequality "dim U \geq dim V - dim W" always holds true for a linear map. This is because a linear map preserves the dimension of subspaces, so the dimension of subspace U must be at least as large as the difference between the dimensions of subspaces V and W.

4. How can you prove the inequality "dim U \geq dim V - dim W" for a specific linear map?

To prove the inequality "dim U \geq dim V - dim W" for a specific linear map, you can start by finding a basis for each of the subspaces U, V, and W. Then, you can use the fact that a linear map preserves the dimension of subspaces to show that the dimension of U is at least as large as the difference between the dimensions of V and W.

5. What are some real-life applications of the inequality "dim U \geq dim V - dim W" in linear maps?

The inequality "dim U \geq dim V - dim W" in linear maps has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, it is used in quantum mechanics to describe the dimension of a particle's wave function, in control systems to analyze the stability of a system, and in image processing to understand the dimensionality of a dataset.