Expanding Universe: Galaxies & Matter Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the expanding universe and its potential implications for life and existence. It is mentioned that the galaxies are moving apart and there is a current theory that the universe will continue to accelerate, potentially leading to a "big freeze" where all matter is too spread out for life to exist. The idea of a "shield" at the end of the universe is also brought up, with speculation about its purpose and meaning. It is suggested that in order to answer these questions and potentially survive as a species, humans must come together and think beyond individual interests.
Rubix
When people say the universe is expanding, do they mean that the galaxies etc are moving farther apart from each other (i wonder how fast o_O)? or does that mean that more matter is being produced somewhere in the universe, causing it to expand...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Galaxies are moving apart and that means there's more space. No new matter, though.

Not only the universe is expanding, it is actually accelerating. It's like throwing a baseball and it moves faster and faster rather than gradually slows down.

then what? after it is done accelerating it compacts again and "the big bang" happens again? if so, i wonder how many times this has happened? Has this happened an infinite number of times? will history repeat itself? Has the Earth been here before the big bang? What's the point to life if we cannot possibly last past the big bang? Maybe some life forms have survived a big bang? gone past the universe assuming there are no boundary's, which i doubt there are. Are there more than one universe? There are planets, solar systems, galaxies, and universes? Maybe something beyond universes? Most of the questions will probably never be answered by humans, but maybe they will? We would have to leave Earth someday in order to answer these questions, and survive other obstacles we don't have to worry about for now, gamma ray bursts, black holes, the works. How can we possibly leave the Earth as a human race if we cannot come together in harmony with other people on this earth? In order to answer and achieve this, people need to start thinking for the greater good, not for themselves. This has caused corruption in governments and company's as we all know, limiting our abilitys as humans.

anyone care to continue my rant or encourage another?

The universe is going to keep accelerating so another big bang isn't likely under this theory. Actually, quite the opposite might happen, the big...freeze? With so much space, all matter will spread out due to the natural entropy of the universe. Billions of years later there will only be black holes and they will eventually die off leaving all the matter in the universe too spread out making it impossible for life. Its hard to imagine but before the big bang, there was nothing. Period. So technically the big band created the universe in a sense.

Interesting. I remember i saw a documentary of discovery science 2 years ago where a scientist mentioned something about an invisible layer (some sort of a shield) at the end of the universe. I am pretty sure i heard that right. If so, then what is the meaning of that shield? Could it be limit of expansion or...

What is the expanding universe?

The expanding universe is the scientific theory that states that the space between galaxies is continuously increasing, causing the universe to expand.

How do we know that the universe is expanding?

Scientists have observed the redshift of light from distant galaxies, which indicates that they are moving away from us. This is evidence that the universe is expanding.

What is a galaxy?

A galaxy is a large system of stars, gas, and dust held together by gravitational forces. Our own Milky Way galaxy is just one of billions of galaxies in the universe.

What is dark matter and why is it important in understanding the expanding universe?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or absorb light, making it invisible to telescopes. Scientists believe that it makes up about 27% of the universe and plays a crucial role in the expansion of the universe.

Will the universe continue to expand forever?

Based on current observations and theories, scientists believe that the universe will continue to expand indefinitely. However, the rate of expansion may change over time depending on the amount of matter and dark energy in the universe.