Mass in an expanding or static spherical distribution of matter

Ranku
In a spherical distribution of matter - such as with clusters of galaxies - how to calculate how much mass there should be for it to not expand with the expanding universe - in other word, for it to be a bound, static system?

Space news on Phys.org
I think that for a "ball" not to expand, the escape velocity on its surface needs to be greater than the velocity of the expansion there as per Hubble law.

• Informative
Likes Ranku
I don't think there's a general answer to this. For example, in a Big Rip scenario no systems are bound at all.

I think the McVittie metric is the thing you need to look at.

Various models are described in Jones, Bernard J. T.. Precision Cosmology: The First Half Million Years. It starts with this:
1705662674334.png

Hill said:
I think that for a "ball" not to expand, the escape velocity on its surface needs to be greater than the velocity of the expansion there as per Hubble law.
I think this is basically correct, at least as a heuristic. We had a previous thread on this some time ago that referenced a paper which did the calculation in more detail. I'll see if I can find it.

• Informative
Likes Ranku and Hill
I claim this question is inherently complex, and that what approximations you make depends on what question you are really trying to answer. Cosmologically, the interesting question is what are the largest bound systems that might come to be in a universe broadly similar to ours, with various assumptions about initial inhomogeneities. But very different assumptions might be made as pure question of mathematical GR. To wit, I propose arguments that for one statement of the problem, the answer is completely determined by dark energy assumptions and can be answered without reference to an FLRW solution - using the same types of arguments used in the work referred to in post #4.

Consider an initially contracting ball of dust (pressureless perfect fluid) embedded in an empty, asymptotically flat spacetime. Basically, this is some initial state of an Oppenheimer-Snyder class of solution. Excise this just outside the ball, glue into an FLRW solution with a boundary shell where the FLRW perfect fluid density goes to zero (and there is no dark energy). This is needed for a smooth gluing. Now, by arguments based on Birkhoff, the evolution within the ball is unchanged, and it will contract to a BH no matter how large an instance of this you create.

Now consider dark energy. For simplicity, let's only discuss cosmological constant. Then the initial set up is an initially contracting dust ball in an otherwise empty universe with cosmological constant. I believe the result here is the for any choice of such constant and details of initial ball state, there is a minimum size such that the ball will eventually stop contracting and start expanding. Again, with the same gluing strategy as above, except that the at the inner glue shell boundary you have pure dark energy matching the ball solution (assumed to be the same as the universe at large), it is again true that the rest of the FLRW solution is irrelevant to the ball dynamics until well after reversal occurs (in the cases where it reverses). Thus, the question of whether the ball reverses and eventually joins the hubble flow is answerable with an isolated treatment of the ball.

• Informative
Likes Ranku and PeterDonis

1. What happens to the mass of a spherical distribution of matter when the universe expands?

The mass of a spherical distribution of matter, such as a galaxy or a cluster of galaxies, remains constant as the universe expands. This is because the mass is determined by the amount of matter within the distribution, and expansion does not create or destroy matter. However, the distribution itself may become less dense as its volume increases due to the expansion of space.

2. How does the expansion of the universe affect the gravitational field of a spherical distribution of matter?

The expansion of the universe does not directly affect the gravitational field of a static spherical distribution of matter in terms of the strength of the gravitational field generated by the mass itself. However, as space expands, the distances between objects increase, which can reduce the overall gravitational interaction between distant objects. Within the distribution, if it remains gravitationally bound and does not expand internally, the gravitational field remains unchanged.

3. Can the density of a spherical distribution of matter increase in an expanding universe?

Generally, in an expanding universe, the density of a free-floating spherical distribution of matter would decrease as the volume of the distribution increases. However, if there are forces or processes at play that cause matter to clump together more tightly—such as gravitational collapse or cooling and condensation of gas—the density of the distribution could indeed increase despite the overall expansion of the universe.

4. How does the static or dynamic state of a spherical distribution affect its evolution in an expanding universe?

A static spherical distribution of matter, one that does not expand or contract, will generally maintain its structure in an expanding universe, assuming no external forces act upon it. In contrast, a dynamic spherical distribution, which might be undergoing processes like star formation, supernova explosions, or accretion of matter, can evolve significantly over time. Its evolution is influenced by both internal processes and the expanding framework of the universe, which can affect how material is distributed and how it interacts with neighboring structures.

5. What are the observational implications of an expanding or static spherical distribution of matter in cosmology?

Observationally, distinguishing between an expanding and a static spherical distribution of matter can be crucial for understanding the dynamics and history of the universe. For instance, measurements of the redshifts of galaxies can help determine whether a structure is bound and static or participating in the cosmic expansion. Additionally, studying how light interacts with and is affected by these distributions (e.g., gravitational lensing) can provide insights into the mass and density profiles of cosmic structures, thereby informing models of cosmic evolution and the distribution of dark matter.