Mesh Analysis for AC RLC Circuits: Finding Vo and Io

In summary, you have incorrectly mixed up the sign on the voltage source for loop 2, it should be +3Vo. You also have the same type of error in loop 3, -3Vo not +3Vo. Fix those errors and you should be ready to solve the problem!
jess_88
hi guys

I am trying to fined Vo and Io using mesh analysis for the following cct
IGAdf.png

The formulas I made from the cct using mesh analysis don't seem right :grumpy:

here is what I have-
loop1
2(I1 - I2) = 0
loop2
2(I2 - I1) + I2(j4) - 3Vo = 0
loop3
3Vo + I3(-2j) = 0

and
I1 = 4<-30
vo = 2(I1 - I2)

loop1
2(4<-30 - I2) = 0
I2 = 4<-30

loop 2
2(4<-30 - 4<-30) + I2(j4) - 6(4<-30 - 4<-30)

loop 3
6(4<-30 - 4<-30) + I3(-2j) = 0

I must have done something wrong... I just don't know where

Physics news on Phys.org
here is what I have-
loop1
2(I1 - I2) = 0
loop2
2(I2 - I1) + I2(j4) - 3Vo = 0
loop3
3Vo + I3(-2j) = 0

For loop1 no mesh equation is needed, by inspection,

[tex]I_{1} = 4 \angle -30^{o}[/tex]

Let's just keep that in mind because we will apply it later on.

For loop 2, you are mixing up the sign on the voltage source, it should be +3Vo. (You've mixed this up before in one of your previous problems.)

You have the same type of error in loop 3, -3Vo not +3Vo.

Fix those are you should be ready to solve!

ah great thanks!
just to clarify my mistake with 3Vo.
is the polarity reversed due to the polarity of the vo resister?

jess_88 said:
ah great thanks!
just to clarify my mistake with 3Vo.
is the polarity reversed due to the polarity of the vo resister?

I'm not sure what you mean.

You have to remember all you are doing with mesh analysis is KVL combined with Ohm's Law. (It's a little more complex than that because the mesh currents don't always model the physical currents but that's extra details)

If you apply KVL in a clockwise fashion you should find that you are running a "positive" current through the voltage source as per conventional current.

By conventional current, I mean that a positive current is defined as one that flows form positive to negative.

You can read more about it here, http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=12847.0;wap2

"It all boils down to always ASSUMING that a external flow of positive charges from the pos to the neg terminal of a voltage source always produces a positive current. This causes electron flow to have a MATHEMATICALLY opposite direction with respect its real direction, but it is consistent and correct with respect to positively charged particles. In cases where knowing the real physical particle direction is important, that can be handled on a case by case basis. Most of the time in circuit analysis, the real direction does not matter."

Hopefully this clears things up!

Last edited by a moderator:
ah geez.
I get it now!
thank you so much :)

quick question.
I have for loop2
2(I2 - I1) + I2(j4) + 3Vo = 0
= -4I2 + j4(I2) = -I1(4)
can I do this next part??
-I2 + j4(I2) = -I1
-I2(1 - j) = -(4<-30)
I2 = (4<-30)/(sqrt(2)<-45)

... is this ok?

What is AC RLC mesh analysis?

AC RLC mesh analysis is a method used to analyze the behavior of AC circuits that contain resistors, inductors, and capacitors. It involves breaking down the circuit into smaller mesh or loop equations and solving for the unknown variables using Kirchhoff's voltage law.

What are the advantages of using AC RLC mesh analysis?

AC RLC mesh analysis allows for a systematic and organized approach to solving complex AC circuits. It also takes into account the reactive components of the circuit, making it more accurate than other methods such as simple series or parallel analysis.

What are the limitations of AC RLC mesh analysis?

AC RLC mesh analysis is only applicable to circuits that can be broken down into smaller mesh equations. It also assumes linear behavior of components, which may not hold true in all circuits.

How do I apply AC RLC mesh analysis?

To apply AC RLC mesh analysis, follow these steps: 1. Identify the meshes or loops in the circuit. 2. Assign a current variable to each mesh and label the voltage drops across each component. 3. Write Kirchhoff's voltage law equations for each mesh. 4. Solve the equations simultaneously to find the unknown variables.

What are some tips for solving AC RLC mesh analysis problems?

Some tips for solving AC RLC mesh analysis problems include: 1. Draw a clear and accurate circuit diagram. 2. Use the correct sign convention for voltage drops and currents. 3. Double check your calculations for accuracy. 4. Use algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination to solve the equations. 5. Practice, as it will help improve your problem-solving skills.