Can I work under a Mechanical PE if I want to take the Civil PE exam?

In summary, the individual is a Civil Engineering major and currently works full time as an Energy Rater. They are interested in pursuing a career in the energy rating/auditing industry and have noticed that many leaders in the field have a mix of Civil and Mechanical engineering backgrounds with PE certifications. They are wondering if working under a Mechanical PE would negatively impact their chances of taking the Civil PE exam, but have not found any information on this in Colorado. They believe they may need letters of recommendation from PE's in their field for the licensing process. It is suggested that they reach out to their state's licensing board for clarification on requirements.
CivilEnergy
I am a Civil Engineering major, and I work full time as an Energy Rater and would like to pursue this career path. When I look around the leaders in the energy rating/auditing industry, I see a mix of Civil and Mechanical engineers all with PE's. I am trying to find work under these PE certified engineers, and I would like to know if I were to work under a Mechanical PE would that adversely affect my chances at taking the Civil PE exam? I can not find anything on the Colorado

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not to my knowledge. Everything I have seen only says that you have to work with a PE in that field. If it's an ME or CE, as long as the work you all do is in structural, it shouldn't be an issue. It does depend on your state's particular licensing board though. The best bet is to go straight to the source and ask the question. I would be surprised if you had a problem though.

I believe you have to have letters of recommendation from PE's to go for the license, but you'd have to find out whether or not these have to be PE's in your field. Certainly it can't hurt to work for an ME, but if you need a letter from a CE, you might be better getting direct exposure to a CE with a PE.

1. What is PE certification?

PE certification stands for Professional Engineer certification. It is a credential that recognizes an individual's expertise and ability to practice as a professional engineer in a specific field of engineering. It is typically required for engineers who want to work in government-regulated industries or offer engineering services to the public.

2. How do I become PE certified?

To become PE certified, you must first earn a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited institution. Then, you must pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and gain four years of relevant work experience. Finally, you must pass the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam in your chosen engineering discipline.

3. What are the benefits of PE certification?

PE certification can open up many career opportunities for engineers. It demonstrates a high level of knowledge and expertise in a particular engineering discipline, which can lead to higher job prospects, increased salary, and more job responsibilities. It also allows engineers to sign and seal engineering documents, making them legally responsible for their work.

4. Is PE certification required for all engineering jobs?

No, PE certification is not required for all engineering jobs. It is typically required for engineers who offer services to the public, work on government-regulated projects, or hold a supervisory or managerial position. However, some employers may prefer or even require their engineers to be PE certified.

5. How long does PE certification last?

PE certification does not expire. Once an engineer becomes PE certified, they are considered a licensed professional engineer for life. However, some states may require engineers to complete continuing education courses to maintain their PE license and stay current with industry developments.