Representations of Symmetry Operators

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of symmetry operators for spin 1/2 particles, such as the time reversal operator and three fold rotation symmetry. The question is then raised about generalizing this to a basis of four component spinor with spins localized on two sites. It is determined that no generalization is necessary as the Pauli matrices used in the operators only act on the spin coordinate and not the basis states. If there were multiple particles involved, tensor products would be appropriate. However, since there is only one particle, the rotation operator only acts on the spin states.
stone
For spin 1/2 particles, I know how to write the representations of the symmetry operators
for instance [tex] T=i\sigma^{y}K [/tex] (time reversal operator)
[tex] C_{3}=exp(i(\pi/3)\sigma^{z}) [/tex] (three fold rotation symmetry) etc.

My question is how do we generalize this to, let's say, a basis of four component spinor with spins localized on two sites [tex]a [/tex] and [tex]b [/tex]
[tex](|a, up>, |a, down>, |b, up>, |b, down>)^{T}[/tex]

Is it a direct product [tex] i\sigma^{y}K \otimes i\sigma^{y}K[/tex]
Or [tex] i\sigma^{y}K \otimes I_{2 \times 2}[/tex]

Or is it something else?
It would be wonderful if you could point to any references.

Physics news on Phys.org
stone, No generalization is necessary. Using tensor products would be appropriate if you were talking about a system with several particles, but my understanding is that you have just one.

The Pauli matrices you've written, σy and so forth, act on the particle's spin coordinate. They do not affect |a> and |b>. Furthermore the antilinear operator K may be defined so as to also leave the basis states |a> and |b> unchanged, and therefore its only effect will be to complex conjugate the coefficients. That is, if you have a state |ψ> = α|a> + β|b>, then K|ψ> = α*|a> + β*|b>.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes the number of particles is still one, but the basis is now 4x4 instead of the usual 2x2, then we need to represent the symmetry operators in terms of 4x4 matrices.
I am still not sure how to go about doing this.

Some more help would be appreciated.

Ok, I yield! If you want to represent your four states as a tensor product of two 2-spaces, S ⊗ T say, then an operator R that acts only on the spin part will be of the form R ⊗ I.

I have a couple of reasons for resisting this, one is (IMHO) it's a rather cumbersome way of stating a simple fact, namely that the rotation operator acts on just the spin states. For a more general example, in which instead of |a> and |b> you had states |l m> say, which were also affected by rotations, you'd have to write the action as (S ⊗ I) ⊕ (I ⊗ L).

thanks for yielding!
I understand now.

1. What is a symmetry operator?

A symmetry operator is a mathematical operation that describes the symmetry of an object or system. It is used to represent the ways in which an object can be transformed while still maintaining its original appearance.

2. How are symmetry operators represented?

Symmetry operators are typically represented using matrices or group theory. In matrices, each symmetry operation is represented by a square matrix that describes the transformation of the object's coordinates. In group theory, symmetry operators are represented as elements of a group, which is a set of operations that satisfy certain mathematical properties.

3. What is the difference between a symmetry operation and a symmetry element?

A symmetry operation is a mathematical description of the transformation of an object, while a symmetry element is a feature of the object that remains unchanged by the symmetry operation. For example, a square has four symmetry operations (rotation by 90 degrees, 180 degrees, 270 degrees, and no rotation) but only two symmetry elements (a line of symmetry through the center and a point of symmetry in the middle).

4. How are symmetry operators used in crystallography?

In crystallography, symmetry operators are used to describe the repeating patterns of atoms in a crystal lattice. By applying symmetry operations to a unit cell (the smallest repeating unit of the crystal), the entire crystal structure can be generated. This helps in understanding the physical and chemical properties of crystals.

5. What is the significance of symmetry operators in science?

Symmetry operators play a crucial role in many scientific disciplines, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. They help us understand the properties and behavior of objects and systems at the atomic and molecular level. They also aid in the development of mathematical models and theories that can be used to predict and explain natural phenomena.