Solving Fractional Exponent with Elementary Laplace

In summary, the conversation is about using the Laplace transform to solve for (s)^(1/2) and the potential use of the convolution rule and gamma function. The participants have not found a solution yet and may continue to explore different methods.
2RIP
Hi

Homework Statement

L[f] = (s)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Is there actually an elementary laplace transform that can compute this? I tried using derivative to solve for it, but i'll always be stuck with a fractional exponent.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The best thing I could think of is using the convolution rule, i.e. (F(s)G(s) = f(t)*g(t)) where * is convolution. Let F(s)=G(s)=s^(1/2), then F(s)G(s) = s. Can you do the laplace transform of s?

Oh, our class hasn't got to that section yet. Maybe I'll be able to solve it tomorrow then. Thanks.

I think i might have just thought of something. Would it work if i first took the derivative. Then used the gamma function to compute the inverse laplace transform?

The gamma function isn't in a form that is immediately obvious to me to see how it relates to what you have to evaluate.

Related to Solving Fractional Exponent with Elementary Laplace

1. What is a fractional exponent?

A fractional exponent is a mathematical notation used to represent a power that is not a whole number. It is written in the form of a fraction, where the numerator is the power and the denominator is the root. For example, 21/2 represents the square root of 2.

2. How do you solve fractional exponents?

To solve a fractional exponent, you can use the elementary Laplace method. This involves converting the fractional exponent into a decimal form, using the power rule to simplify the expression, and then converting back to a fractional exponent if necessary. For example, 23/2 can be converted to 21.5, then simplified to √23, and finally converted back to 23/2.

3. What is the elementary Laplace method?

The elementary Laplace method is a mathematical technique used to solve fractional exponents. It involves converting the fractional exponent into a decimal form, using the power rule to simplify the expression, and then converting back to a fractional exponent if necessary. This method is particularly useful for solving complex fractional exponents.

4. What is the power rule for fractional exponents?

The power rule for fractional exponents states that a number raised to a fractional exponent can be rewritten as the root of that number raised to the numerator of the fraction. For example, 32/3 can be rewritten as √32, which is equal to the cube root of 3 squared, or 3.

5. Can the elementary Laplace method be used for all fractional exponents?

Yes, the elementary Laplace method can be used to solve all fractional exponents. However, it may not always be the most efficient method, and there may be alternative approaches that are more appropriate for certain types of fractional exponents. It is important to consider the specific problem at hand when choosing a method for solving fractional exponents.