Divergence and curl rule simplification?

In summary, The conversation is about a specific annotation which looks like a backwards divergence symbol and is used in an equation involving two independent variables and a volume differential. The person is also looking for online references for simplifying vector identities that include integrals. They mention a specific example and the attempt at a solution provided by someone else. The conversation ends with a reference to a Wikipedia page on the del operator.
Durato
Just for reference, i got this question from reading an online ebook:
http://www.plasma.uu.se/CED/Book/EMFT_Book.pdf
The bottom equation on page 24 is where i these equations came up.

I have been reading some stuff and i keep coming across an annotation which looks exactly
like a divergence symbol except backwards.
V dot (del sign)

Specifically, it was used as follows:
[j(x') dot del']del'(1/(abs(x-x')))

where del is the upside triangle symbol and x and x' are just two different variables.
del' operates only on the x' symbol.

Also, can anyone point me out to any online reference which shows how to simplify
vector identities which include integrals. Example:

Homework Statement

Simplify Kcurl(curl(integral(d^3x'*j(x')/abs(x-x'))))
where, again, x and x' are two independent variables and d^3x' just represent the volume
differential (not a variable!)

Homework Equations

curl(curl(a)) = grad(div(a))-laplace(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

No clue where to start. But their solution was as follows:
= -K*(integral(d^3x'j(x')laplace(1/(abs(x-x'))))
+K*(integral(d^3x'[j(x') dot del']grad'(1/(abs(x-x')))))

where del' or grad' just means do in terms of x' variable.

I got lost when they started using grad' and dot del' in the second integral, even though
they had used a curl in terms of x, not x'.

Physics news on Phys.org
Read this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del

That should take care of your first concern. Apropos your second concern, the integral seems to be acting like a scalar.

1. What is the divergence and curl rule simplification?

The divergence and curl rule simplification is a mathematical tool used to simplify complex vector calculus equations involving the divergence and curl of a vector field. It is based on the properties of these two operations and allows for a more efficient and elegant representation of equations.

2. Why is divergence and curl rule simplification important in science?

Divergence and curl rule simplification is important in science because it allows for the analysis and understanding of complex vector fields, such as those found in electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and thermodynamics. It also helps to simplify equations and make them more manageable for further analysis and calculations.

3. How does one use the divergence and curl rule simplification?

The divergence and curl rule simplification involves applying a set of rules and properties to equations involving the divergence and curl of a vector field. These rules include the product rule, chain rule, and identities for the divergence and curl. By applying these rules, the equations can be simplified and solved more easily.

4. What are some common applications of divergence and curl rule simplification?

Divergence and curl rule simplification is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to analyze and model vector fields in various systems, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is also useful in solving partial differential equations and understanding the behavior of vector fields in three-dimensional space.

5. Are there any limitations to the divergence and curl rule simplification?

While the divergence and curl rule simplification is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be applicable to all types of vector fields and may not always provide the most accurate results. Additionally, it may be more difficult to apply in certain situations, such as when dealing with non-linear vector fields or in systems with changing boundaries.