Differentiability implies continuity proof (delta epsilon)

In summary, the problem statement is that if f is differentiable at a, then f is continuous at a. The attempt at a solution is to show that if f is continuous at a, then it is differentiable at a. However, the proof is incomplete and it is not clear if the known and wanted to show info is correct.
Nan1teZ
1. The problem statement.

Give a complete and accurate [tex]\delta[/tex] - [tex]\epsilon[/tex] proof of the thereom: If f is differentiable at a, then f is continuous at a.

2. The attempt at a solution

Known:
[tex]\forall\epsilon>0, \exists\delta>0, \forall x, |x-a|<\delta \implies \left|\frac{f(x) - f(a)}{x-a} - f'(a)\right|<\epsilon [/tex]

Want to show:

[tex]\forall\epsilon>0, \exists\delta>0, \forall x, |x-a|<\delta \implies |f(x) - f(a)|<\epsilon[/tex]

So I start with the known info and cross multiply [tex]\left|\frac{f(x) - f(a)}{x-a} - f'(a)\right|[/tex] to get [tex]\left|\frac{f(x) - f(a) - (x-a)f'(a)}{x-a}\right|[/tex] which doesn't really help me in completing the proof, especially since x-a is in the denominator. =[

And is my known and want to show info correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The known and show info look correct. As for the proof, hint: [tex]f(x)-f(a)= \frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}*(x-a)[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x \to a}(x-a)=0[/tex]

In the end you can should be able to prove that [tex]\lim_{x \to a}f(x)-f(a)=0[/tex] i.e. [tex]|f(x) - f(a)|<\epsilon [/tex]

konthelion said:
As for the proof, hint: [tex]f(x)-f(a)= \frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}*(x-a)[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x \to a}(x-a)=0[/tex]

Does that mean we can assume [tex]\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}*(x-a) = 0[/tex]?

Let me rephrase that.

From what you know:
[tex]\lim_{x \to a}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}=f'(a)[/tex] which when written in [tex]\epsilon - \delta[/tex] definition,[tex]\left|\frac{f(x) - f(a)}{x-a} - f'(a) \right|<\epsilon [/tex]

Also, since f is differentiable at a, then [tex]\lim_{x \to a}(x-a)=0[/tex]

You are trying to show that [tex]\lim_{x \to a}f(x)=f(a)[/tex] , by the definition of continuity at a. Which is also written in [tex]\epsilon - \delta[/tex] definition as
[tex]|f(x) - f(a)|<\epsilon [/tex]

From the hint I gave you, [tex]\lim_{x \to a}f(x)-f(a)=blank[/tex]

Last edited:
konthelion said:
Let me rephrase that.

From what you know:
[tex]\lim_{x \to a}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}=f'(a)[/tex] which when written in [tex]\epsilon - \delta[/tex] definition,[tex]\left|\frac{f(x) - f(a)}{x-a} - f'(a) \right|<\epsilon [/tex]

Also, since f is differentiable at a, then [tex]\lim_{x \to a}(x-a)=0[/tex]

You are trying to show that [tex]\lim_{x \to a}f(x)=f(a)[/tex] , by the definition of continuity at a. Which is also written in [tex]\epsilon - \delta[/tex] definition as
[tex]|f(x) - f(a)|<\epsilon [/tex]

From the hint I gave you, [tex]\lim_{x \to a}f(x)-f(a)=blank[/tex]

Okay so tell me if this is right:

[tex]\left|f(x)-f(a)\right| = \left|\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}(x-a)\right| = \left|\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}(0)\right| = 0 < \epsilon[/tex]

Since [tex]\lim_{x \to a}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}*(x-a) = \lim_{x \to a}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}*\lim_{x \to a}(x-a) = \lim_{x \to a}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}*0 = 0 [/tex]

Nan1teZ said:
Since [tex]\lim_{x \to a}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}*(x-a) = \lim_{x \to a}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}*\lim_{x \to a}(x-a) = \lim_{x \to a}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}*0 = 0 [/tex]
Yes, this part is correct. You can further simplify that into:

[tex]\lim_{x \to a}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}*0 = f'(a)*0 = 0 [/tex]

Then, you can just say that: [tex] \forall\epsilon>0, \exists\delta, 0<|x-a|<\delta \implies |[f(x) - f(a)]-0|<\epsilon \implies |f(x) - f(a)|<\epsilon
[/tex]
since you've shown that [tex]\lim_{x \to a}[ f(x)-f(a)]=0[/tex]

You can't say that [tex](x-a)=0[/tex] since the limit [tex]\lim_{x \to a}(x-a)=0[/tex]

Last edited:
Okay thanks a lot. =)

1. What is the definition of differentiability?

Differentiability is a mathematical concept that refers to the smoothness of a function at a particular point. It is a measure of how well the function can be approximated by a linear function (a straight line) at that point.

2. What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

A function is continuous at a point if its value at that point is equal to the limit of its values as the input approaches that point. In simpler terms, this means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the function's graph at that point.

3. How is differentiability related to continuity?

Differentiability implies continuity, meaning that if a function is differentiable at a point, it must also be continuous at that point. This is because a differentiable function must be continuous in order to have a defined derivative at that point.

4. What is the delta-epsilon definition of continuity?

The delta-epsilon definition of continuity is a way to mathematically define continuity at a point using limits. It states that for a function to be continuous at a point, the difference between the function's value at that point and its limit as the input approaches that point must be smaller than any given positive number (epsilon), as long as the input is within a certain range (delta) of the point.

5. How does the delta-epsilon definition prove that differentiability implies continuity?

The delta-epsilon definition can be used to prove that differentiability implies continuity by showing that if a function is differentiable at a point, it must also satisfy the conditions for continuity at that point. This is done by using the definition of the derivative and the limit definition of continuity to show that the difference between the function's value and its limit is smaller than epsilon when the input is within a certain range of the point (delta).