Find the final velocity of the railroad car.

In summary: Look at the force of gravity acting on each mass, and see if you can find a way to cancel out that force.
ScullyX51

Homework Statement

A 1.00×104 railroad car is rolling at 4.00 when a 2000 load of gravel is suddenly dropped in. What is the car's speed just after the gravel is loaded?

Homework Equations

f=ma
pi=pf

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very confused with this problem, but this is what I have tried so far:
I drew a "before" picture of mass1: 2000kg, and mass2: 1.00*10^4kg. both in the y direction.
Then I drew an "after" picture of "m1+m2" moving in the x direction (m1+m2)Vf. and vf is given to be 4 m/s.
I don't know what to do from here, and I am also very confused because it seems as though it is not conservation of momentum in the collision in the y direction because of the force of gravity, and the normal force from the train. I would appreciate if someone could give me some hints on how to approach this problem.
Thank you. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
ScullyX51 said:
I drew a "before" picture of mass1: 2000kg, and mass2: 1.00*10^4kg. both in the y direction.
What do you mean "in the y direction"?
Then I drew an "after" picture of "m1+m2" moving in the x direction (m1+m2)Vf.
This is good.
and vf is given to be 4 m/s.
No, 4 m/s is the initial velocity of the empty railroad car.

Hint: Just worry about the x-direction.

ScullyX51 said:

Homework Statement

A 1.00×104 railroad car is rolling at 4.00 when a 2000 load of gravel is suddenly dropped in. What is the car's speed just after the gravel is loaded?

Homework Equations

f=ma
pi=pf

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very confused with this problem, but this is what I have tried so far:
Then I drew an "after" picture of "m1+m2" moving in the x direction (m1+m2)Vf. and vf is given to be 4 m/s.
I don't know what to do from here, and I am also very confused because it seems as though it is not conservation of momentum in the collision in the y direction because of the force of gravity, and the normal force from the train. I would appreciate if someone could give me some hints on how to approach this problem.
Thank you. :)

Conservation of horizontal momentum is what you're after.

1. What is the formula for finding the final velocity of a railroad car?

The formula for finding the final velocity of a railroad car is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How do you determine the initial velocity of a railroad car?

The initial velocity of a railroad car can be determined by measuring its speed at the beginning of a given time interval. Alternatively, if the initial velocity is not given, it can be assumed to be 0.

3. What is the unit for final velocity?

The unit for final velocity is meters per second (m/s).

4. Can the final velocity of a railroad car be negative?

Yes, the final velocity of a railroad car can be negative if it is decelerating or moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. This indicates a decrease in speed.

5. How does the mass of the railroad car affect the final velocity?

The mass of the railroad car does not directly affect the final velocity. However, a larger mass may require a greater force to accelerate it to a certain velocity, resulting in a longer time to reach the final velocity.