Typing equations in Microsoft Word 2007

• Thread starter mbrmbrg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to use the equations editor in Microsoft Word 2007. It is noted that the option may be grayed out if it was not installed or if the document is saved as a .doc file. Options for installing the equation editor or using a TeX editor are also mentioned. It is recommended to save the document as a .docx file to enable the equations option. Additionally, it is mentioned that the "old" equation editor can still be accessed in Word 2007 and that MathType is another option.
mbrmbrg
Does anyone know how to use the equations editor in microsoft word 2007?
When I go the insert tab, I can insert symbols, but the equations option is grayed out. I do NOT have the patience to sit there finicking with formatting, etc. just to see

[tex]Ax^2+Bx+C=0[/tex]

[tex]x=\frac{-B\pm\sqrt{B^2-4AC}}{2A}[/tex]

or something even harder to format (like an equation involving total differential or something).

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the equations option in the drop down menu is not available, then that option was not installed. If you have the Office 2007 CD (or Word) then one should be able to install it.

Otherwise one can use super and subscripts in the set of Commands on the Customize toolbar > Format > supercript or supscript. That can enable one to do simple polynomials, exponents and indices. Otherwise one needs to intall the equation or use a TeX (Latex) editor.

Aaack!

OK, that's it. I'll talk to the head of the physics department and ask him to kindly get equations installed. Manual formatting (especially when the program loves to automatically format everything) is not my cup of tea.

Then again... I really like LaTeX. Do you know how to install a TeX editor?

Right-o.
Thanks!

How can I calculate the avreage in Microsoft Word 2007,,

and is the equation tools only for the apperance or it can calculate!

Also, if the file you're working on is saved as .doc the button will be grayed out aswell.

I'm digging up this thread because it's one of the first results google gave me when I searched for this anomaly.

Mirakelman said:
Also, if the file you're working on is saved as .doc the button will be grayed out aswell.

Yes! That's exactly the issue I came up against. What can be done about the fact that it's grayed out? Anything? Yes, I do have it installed because I can use the equation editor thing on .docx documents.

Mirakelman said:
I'm digging up this thread because it's one of the first results google gave me when I searched for this anomaly.

Ditto.

darussiaman said:
Yes! That's exactly the issue I came up against. What can be done about the fact that it's grayed out? Anything? Yes, I do have it installed because I can use the equation editor thing on .docx documents.

Ditto.
Just save the document as .docx.

Mirakelman said:
Just save the document as .docx.

Also, the "old" equation editor (aka Microsoft Equation 3.0) is still in Word 2007/2008/2010/2011, and it can be used in either .doc documents or .docx documents. To get to it in Word 2007, in the Text group of the Insert tab, click on Object. From there, it's similar to previous versions of Word. (Look for Microsoft Equation in the list of "Objects".)

Of course MathType works too, but you asked about Equation Editor.

1. How do I insert an equation in Microsoft Word 2007?

To insert an equation in Microsoft Word 2007, click on the Insert tab and then select the Equation option in the Symbols group. A drop-down menu will appear with various pre-made equations and symbols, or you can click on the "Insert New Equation" option to create your own customized equation.

2. How do I type fractions and exponents in an equation?

To type fractions in an equation, use the fraction button in the Equation tab or type "frac" followed by a space and the fraction numbers in parentheses. To type exponents, use the superscript button in the Equation tab or type "sup" followed by a space and the exponent number in parentheses.

3. Can I insert equations in the same line as text?

Yes, you can insert equations in the same line as text by using the inline option in the Equation tab or by typing "inline" followed by a space and the equation in parentheses.

4. How do I align equations in Microsoft Word 2007?

To align equations in Microsoft Word 2007, select the equation and then click on the "Align" button in the Equation tab. You can choose from options such as left, center, right, or justify alignment.

5. Can I edit equations after inserting them in Microsoft Word 2007?

Yes, you can edit equations after inserting them in Microsoft Word 2007 by double-clicking on the equation. This will open up the Equation Tools Design tab where you can make any necessary changes. You can also right-click on the equation and select "Edit" to make changes.