Current in a loop (Kirchhoff's Laws)

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the currents I1, I2, and I3 in a given circuit using Kirchhoff's laws for current and voltage. The conversation includes the given resistances and emf's, as well as the attempt at a solution using a matrix and reduced row echelon form. However, it is discovered that one more equation is needed to successfully solve for the currents.
maxsthekat

Homework Statement

Given the following circuit:
gian1940.gif

Calculate the currents I1, I2, and I3
The given resistances are:
r: 1.05 ohm
R1: 11.7 Ohm
R2: 10.5 Ohm
R3: 7.20 Ohm
R4: 14.3 Ohm
R5: 18.8 Ohm

The given emf's are:
E1 = E2: 9.0 V
E3: 3.0 V

Homework Equations

We know Kirchhoff's laws for current and voltage. Namely, Iin = Iout for any junction, and voltage around any loop must = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use Kirchhoff's voltage laws around the big loop (all the way around the outside), the upper (top) loop, and the lower (bottom) loop. Then, I put these into a matrix, and tried to use the reduced row echelon form (rref) to solve for the currents.

Big loop:
E3 - I3r - I3R5 - I1R1 + E1 - I1r - I1R3 - I3R4 = 0

This is equivalent to: I1(-R1 - r - R3) + I2(0) + I3(-r - R5 - R4) = -E3 - E1

Top loop:
E2 - I2r - I2R2 - I1R1 + E1 - I1r - I1R3 = 0

Equivalent to: I1(-R1 - r - R3) + I2(-r - R2) + I3(0) = E2 - E1

Bottom loop:
E3 - I3r - I3R5 + I2R2 + I2r - E2 - I3R4 = 0

Equivalent to: I1(0) + I2(R2 + r) + I3(-r - R5 - R4) = -E3 + E2

Resultant matrix
Code:
[(-R1 - r - R3)       0      (-r - R5 - R4)  ]  [ I1 ]      [ -E3 - E1  ]
[(-R1 - r - R3)  (-R2 - r)       0            ]  [ I2 ]  =  [  E2 - E1  ]
[       0         (R2 + r)  (-r - R5 - R4)   ]  [ I3 ]      [ -E3 + E2 ]

However, the rref of this matrix ends up with a row of all 0's (implying infinite solutions). Therefore, I'm assuming there is a mistake in how I went around the loops and setup the equations. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aha! Solved it. I needed one more equation, which I neglected.

1 -1 -1 = 0 (I1 = I2 + I3)

with this, the matrix can be solved :)

It seems like you have correctly applied Kirchhoff's voltage law to the three loops in the circuit. However, there may be an error in your calculations or in the values given for the resistances and emfs. I suggest checking your calculations and double checking the given values to ensure they are accurate. If the rref of the matrix still results in a row of all 0's, it is possible that the circuit is not solvable using Kirchhoff's laws alone and may require additional information or a different approach.

1. What is the definition of current in a loop?

Current in a loop refers to the flow of electric charge through a closed circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is the rate at which electric charge moves through a specific point in the circuit.

2. What are Kirchhoff's laws and how do they apply to current in a loop?

Kirchhoff's laws are two fundamental principles in circuit analysis. The first law, also known as Kirchhoff's current law, states that the sum of currents entering a junction in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the junction. The second law, known as Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of voltage sources in that loop.

3. How do I calculate current in a loop using Kirchhoff's laws?

To calculate current in a loop, you can use Kirchhoff's current law and Kirchhoff's voltage law. First, apply Kirchhoff's current law at any junction in the circuit to determine the total current entering and leaving the junction. Then, apply Kirchhoff's voltage law around a closed loop in the circuit to determine the voltage drops and sources. Use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the current at any specific point in the circuit.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits in terms of current in a loop?

In a series circuit, the current remains constant throughout the loop, as there is only one path for the current to flow. This means that the current in each individual component is the same as the total current in the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the total current entering a junction is equal to the sum of the currents leaving that junction. This means that the current can split and flow through multiple paths, and the current in each component may be different.

5. How does the resistance of a circuit affect the current in a loop?

The resistance of a circuit is directly proportional to the current in a loop. This means that as the resistance increases, the current decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be mathematically represented by Ohm's law (I=V/R), where V is the voltage and R is the resistance. Therefore, the higher the resistance in a circuit, the lower the current will be.