Maximum slope and deflection of beam

In summary, to find the max slope and deflection of beams with different types of loading, you need to first find a load or moment function and then use integration with boundary or continuity conditions. In the example of a simple supported beam with a point load at 4 feet, the max deflection is at x=4 ft. For problems 10.1-10.4, you need to determine the section of the beam to find the moment function. Calculus can be used to find the point of max deflection.
driedupfish

Homework Statement

I need to find the max slope and deflection of beams with several different types of loading on them. I need to first find a load function or a moment function. Then use integration (and boundary conditions or continuity conditions) to find an expression for the slope and deflection.

For example, a simple supported beam(6 ft) with a point load at a distance of 4 feet from the starting point. Should I find the moment function from section 0<x<4 ft or 4<x<6 ft?
I think that the max deflection is at x= 4 ft, so should I use a section that includes the point load?

here are the rest of the problems, please give me an idea on which section of the beam to find the moment function for 10.1 - 10.4.

I know how to do the rest, I just don't know which section to cut.

Thanks

Attachments

• RelativeResourceManager.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you will find the max deflection is at less than 4 ft (but more than 3 ft) from the support. The max deflection would be at 4ft if it were a suspended chain, but this member has stiffness that a chain doesn't have. Once you have the function for M/EI in the range 0 to 4, then integration may get you there, if you can define the boundary conditions. To get the point of max deflection, can you see how to get that using calculus?

1. What is the maximum slope of a beam?

The maximum slope of a beam refers to the angle of deflection at the end of the beam, measured in radians. It is the highest point of curvature that the beam experiences under a given load.

2. How is the maximum slope of a beam calculated?

The maximum slope of a beam can be calculated using the formula: θmax = PL^3 / 3EI, where P is the applied load, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam's cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect the maximum slope of a beam?

The maximum slope of a beam is affected by the applied load, the length of the beam, the material properties of the beam, and the shape and size of the beam's cross-section. Other factors such as boundary conditions and external forces can also impact the maximum slope.

4. How does the maximum slope of a beam relate to its deflection?

The maximum slope of a beam is directly related to its deflection. The slope of a beam at any given point is the first derivative of its deflection equation. Therefore, the maximum slope occurs at the point of maximum deflection.

5. How can the maximum slope and deflection of a beam be minimized?

The maximum slope and deflection of a beam can be minimized by using a stronger and stiffer material, increasing the beam's cross-sectional area, or decreasing the length of the beam. Additionally, proper support and reinforcement can also help reduce the maximum slope and deflection of a beam.