Moments at the connections between a horizontal beam and the 3 vertical beams supporting it

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between a continuous beam and a column and whether the connection needs to sustain the moment. It is noted that the connection at the beam edge needs to be designed to sustain the moment, while the connection at the intermediate point does not need to be designed for moment since the continuous beam alone can handle it. It is also mentioned that standard practices are usually followed in construction rather than just "beefing up" the design. The speaker suggests considering the reactions at the column supports and the necessary support connections (pin, roller, fixed, or simple) to determine if the column needs moment support. The conversation ends with the speaker hoping that someone with beam knowledge will provide more detailed information.
dccd
Homework Statement
Say that I have a continuous beam [b]resting on top of column[/b] spanning across 3 column. The applied load is UDL on the beam, here's how the BMD look like. My question is whether the connection between the beam and column need to sustain the moment ? Which point need to sustain the moment ? All 3 locations ? Or the edge of the beam only ?
Relevant Equations
None
Say that I have a continouos beam resting on top of column spanning across 3 column. The applied load is UDL on the beam, here's how the BMD look like. My question is whether the connection between the beam and column need to sustain the moment ? Which point need to sustain the moment ? All 3 locations ? Or the edge of the beam only ?The connection between the column and the beam is the beam will be welded to the plate , and the plate will be welded to the column.

I think the connection at the beam edge need to design to sustain the moment, correct me if I am wrong. The connection on the intermediate point need not designed to take the moment because the moment will be taken by the continuous beam alone. Correct me if I am wrong.

Attachments

• 0007.JPG
    0007.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dccd said:
Correct me if I am wrong.
No right or wrong answer, since it is application dependent, but standard practices are usually followed in the majority of construction ( rather than let's just beef it up - actually that can have detrimental effects in real world unless you go through calculations ).

Did you figure out the reactions at the column supports?
And the support connection necessary - pin, roller, fixed ( in your case since it is welded ), or simple ( frictionless ).
That can lead you to answer more confidentially:
Does the column - centre and/or ends need moment support?
( Besides gravitational, end and sideways, twisting ).

Anyways, I am not too often on homework, as my posts are a bit sporadic and suffer time lag.

Hopefully someone with beam knowledge will come by and more carefully address your concern.

Likes Lnewqban
From symmetry, under vertical loads only, the horizontal reactions at the outside column pinned supports must be equal and opposite. That leaves no shear in the middle column, and thus no moment.

1. What is the purpose of the connections between a horizontal beam and the 3 vertical beams supporting it?

The connections between a horizontal beam and the 3 vertical beams supporting it serve to transfer loads and forces from the horizontal beam to the vertical beams, providing structural stability and support.

2. How are moments calculated at the connections between a horizontal beam and the 3 vertical beams supporting it?

Moments at these connections are calculated using the principles of statics, taking into account the forces and distances involved at each connection point. This allows for the determination of the bending moments and shear forces present at the connection.

3. What factors can affect the moments at the connections between a horizontal beam and the 3 vertical beams supporting it?

The moments at these connections can be affected by various factors such as the type and size of the beam, the material properties, the loading conditions, and the design and quality of the connections themselves.

4. How can moments at the connections between a horizontal beam and the 3 vertical beams supporting it be minimized?

Moments at these connections can be minimized through proper design and construction techniques, such as using appropriate connection types, ensuring proper alignment and fit of the beams, and providing adequate support and reinforcement.

5. What are some common types of connections used between a horizontal beam and the 3 vertical beams supporting it?

Some common types of connections used in this scenario include welded connections, bolted connections, and pinned connections. Each type has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of connection will depend on the specific requirements and conditions of the structure.