Find Tension in Cables for 13 kg & 4 kg Signs

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the tension in four cables, given the weight of two signs and using the equations of net force and summation of forces in the x and y directions. The final agreed upon result for T1 was 131.3N.
awesome_irl

Homework Statement

The big sign below (see attached image) is 13 kg and the small sign is 4 kg. Find the tension in all 4 cables.

Homework Equations

Fnet= Fa +Fb

The Attempt at a Solution

ƩFx= T2cos38 - T1cos51=0
T2=T1cos51/cos38
ƩFy=T1sin51 + (T1cos51/cos38)sin38 - 127.4 -39.2 = 0
T1=131.303

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 625
Physics news on Phys.org

Your T2 is correct.

T3 = T4 = 2g

Fy: T1sin51 + T2sin38 = 17g

this is because the only forces opposing the vertical components of the tensions are the weight of the 13kg and 4kg masses. So the only thing opposing the vertical components of the tension is a combined weight of 17kg which is 17g.

Last edited:

Thanks!
Oh! And merry christmas

Last edited:

Hi, I've updated the post above, which might me helpful to you.

But the forces are in equilibrium and there is no acceleration so how can there be 17g? And won't the opposing forces be the weights, not the masses?

I think this is correct, I get the same:)

Just wondering...was my first attempt correct (my physics teacher posted the answer and her t1 was 131.18 N)
I know I sound paranoid but still... -_-

@ phizkid the "13 g" doesn't denote the mass, I think you mistook the g as a gram rather than the acceleration of gravity. Yoy're correct in mentioning that the system is motionless so that's why the net force is 0 for both the x and y components.

Oh ok then it's all the same

I get T1 = 131.3N

We agree!

"g" is not grams in this case, it is 9.8 m/s2. So by 17g I meant 17 x 9.8m/s2.

1. How do you calculate the tension in the cables for 13 kg and 4 kg signs?

The tension in the cables can be calculated by using the formula T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the sign, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2). First, calculate the weight of each sign by multiplying its mass by the acceleration due to gravity. Then, divide the weight by the number of cables supporting the sign to get the tension in each cable.

2. How many cables are needed to support the 13 kg and 4 kg signs?

The number of cables needed will depend on the strength of the cables and the desired safety margin. Generally, at least two cables are recommended for each sign to ensure stability and prevent excessive tension on a single cable. Therefore, a total of four cables would be needed to support both signs.

3. What factors can affect the tension in the cables?

The tension in the cables can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the sign, the number and strength of the cables, the length and angle of the cables, and external forces such as wind or vibrations. It is important to consider all these factors when determining the appropriate tension for the cables.

4. How does the angle of the cables affect the tension?

The tension in the cables will increase as the angle of the cables decreases. This is because the weight of the sign will be distributed more evenly between the two cables. On the other hand, if the angle of the cables increases, the tension will decrease as the weight of the sign will be mostly supported by one cable.

5. How can I ensure the correct tension in the cables for the 13 kg and 4 kg signs?

To ensure the correct tension, it is important to use cables that are strong enough to support the weight of the signs and to follow the recommended guidelines for spacing and angle of the cables. It is also recommended to regularly inspect the cables and adjust the tension if necessary to maintain stability and safety.