Why a space before a punctuation mark?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary: Maybe she alternated: first word Czech, second word Slovak, third word Czech, fourth word Slovak...:bugeye:
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Some posters here insert a space between the last word of a sentence and the following punctuation mark . Why do they do this ? Is this the common practice in some non-English languages ?

(I did it deliberately in the paragraph above, so you can see explicitly what I'm asking about.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Please provide references of this observation .

Maybe to express a moment of ponder !

Some languages use a word, like Japanese use ka:

O genki desu ka
Is like "how are you doing?"
genki desu
Is like "doing good"

So maybe the question mark gets treated the same way as the ka when people translate in their heads.

I don't know, but the obvious response should be a prompt banning !

What's punctuation ?

jtbell said:
Some posters here insert a space between the last word of a sentence and the following punctuation mark . Why do they do this ? Is this the common practice in some non-English languages ?

(I did it deliberately in the paragraph above, so you can see explicitly what I'm asking about.)
I noticed that by a new member the other day . Weird .

Maybe they are taking a moment of silence before they end their sentence !

What I noticed more common is that many people use ... a lot in their writings...

Maybe they're masking a URL or e-mail address.

rootX said:
Maybe they are taking a moment of silence before they end their sentence !

What I noticed more common is that many people use ... a lot in their writings...

... It has meaning, don't you know ?

:biggrin:

Haha! This reminds me of a thread posted by Cyrus... Man, where is that guy ?

This sentence has a space right before a comma.

I wonder if jtbell expected an actual, non-insulting response from the PF community .

In French, a space is required before and after many punctuation marks and symbols, e.g. : ; « » ! ?, but not before . and , AFAIK.

Greek also seems to have spaces around some punctuation marks, but I'm not sure of the "rules".

Semitic languages don't have any punctuation marks or upper and lower case letters, except where they have been influenced by other languages. The most common form of sentence construction is a long string of run-on sentences separated by "and" (which is written as a syllable prefixed to the first word of a sentence, not as a separate word).

And FWIW that explains why so many sentences in old translations of the Bible start with "and".

whoneeedsspacesandpunctuationanyway

AlephZero said:
In French, a space is required before and after many punctuation marks and symbols, e.g. : ; « » ! ?, but not before . and , AFAIK.

After I posted, I remembered from my occasional reading of German Usenet newsgroups that they have a word for it: "plenken"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenken

The German Wikipedia article mentions the French rules explicitly:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenk

Semitic languages don't have any punctuation marks or upper and lower case letters, except where they have been influenced by other languages. The most common form of sentence construction is a long string of run-on sentences separated by "and" (which is written as a syllable prefixed to the first word of a sentence, not as a separate word).

As I recall, the poster of the message that I saw in the last couple of days that prompted me to ask this, had a username indicating that his native language is probably Arabic. That would fit with what you wrote.

Borek said:
whoneeedsspacesandpunctuationanyway

And in Arabic yudntvnnedmstfthvwls

AlephZero said:
And in Arabic y[STRIKE]u[/STRIKE]dntvnn[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]dmstfthvwls
:biggrin:

It's true that there are only three vowels in the Arabic language [ا, ي, و], but they are really sturdy- they contribute to determine the pronunciation of the word. And you can't vocalize most of the Arabic words without them.

My mother spoke seven languages, one of them arabic. We'd be on a train in France and suddenly she'd started speaking arabic with someone on the train. She also spoke Czechoslovakian. I never knew what or to whom she was speaking. French, English, Spanish, Italian, German, Czech, Algerian/arabic.

Evo said:
My mother spoke seven languages, one of them arabic. We'd be on a train in France and suddenly she'd started speaking arabic with someone on the train. She also spoke Czechoslovakian. I never knew what or to whom she was speaking. French, English, Spanish, Italian, German, Czech, Algerian/arabic.

:bugeye:... *thinks Evo's mother was a spy*

*thinks evo's mother is awsome cause she speaks german* :D :D !:approve:

ich liebe deutsch! :D

tbh, i always thought that you write the sentence with the punctuation mark right next to the last word.

Evo said:
She also spoke Czechoslovakian.

:bugeye:

You mean Czech, or Slovak, or both, or she wasn't sure which one she knows?

Maybe she alternated: first word Czech, second word Slovak, third word Czech, fourth word Slovak...

Borek said:
:bugeye:

You mean Czech, or Slovak, or both, or she wasn't sure which one she knows?
I don't know, it was Czechoslovakia then. It was all Greek to me. :wink:

Why is there a space before a punctuation mark?

The space before a punctuation mark is a standard convention in written language. It serves to visually separate words and make sentences easier to read and understand.

Does the space before a punctuation mark affect the meaning of a sentence?

No, the space before a punctuation mark does not affect the meaning of a sentence. It is purely a stylistic choice and does not change the intended message of the sentence.

Is the space before a punctuation mark necessary in all languages?

No, the use of a space before a punctuation mark varies among different languages. Some languages, such as Chinese and Japanese, do not use spaces at all in their writing systems.

Why is the space before a punctuation mark larger than a regular space?

The space before a punctuation mark is slightly larger than a regular space to create a visual distinction between words and punctuation. This makes it easier for readers to identify and differentiate between the two.

What happens if you forget to include a space before a punctuation mark?

If you forget to include a space before a punctuation mark, it can make the sentence more difficult to read and understand. It may also change the intended meaning of the sentence, especially if the punctuation mark is meant to separate two words.