Solve for the Area of a Region: Integral of sqrt(9-x^2) over [0,3]

In summary, the integral of sqrt(9-x^2) over [0,3] cannot be found using calculus, so the student attempted to find the area of the region by drawing a graph and solving for the area.
Emethyst

Homework Statement

Find the integral of sqrt(9-x^2) over [0,3]. You will not be able to find an antiderivative, so instead interpret the definite integral as the area of a region and compute the area geometrically (I haven't reached integration by substitution and integration by parts in class yet).

Homework Equations

The part I'm lost on

The Attempt at a Solution

This question has me stumped. I tried using both riemann sums and the trapezoid method but this didn't get me anywhere, as the answer is supposed to be 9pi/4. It is only out of 1 mark, so I know it can't be that difficult, but I'm still lost over it. Any pointers in the right direction here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with this geometry figure [itex] y^2 + x^2 = 3^2 [/itex] ? Now consider what the square root does to this relation? (this is not a function), but when [itex] y = \sqrt{3^2 - x^2} [/itex] what happens? (think in terms of Real value [itex] \sqrt{x} [/itex] function)

Last edited:
Emethyst said:

Homework Statement

Find the integral of sqrt(9-x^2) over [0,3]. You will not be able to find an antiderivative, so instead interpret the definite integral as the area of a region and compute the area geometrically (I haven't reached integration by substitution and integration by parts in class yet).

Homework Equations

The part I'm lost on

The Attempt at a Solution

This question has me stumped. I tried using both riemann sums and the trapezoid method but this didn't get me anywhere, as the answer is supposed to be 9pi/4. It is only out of 1 mark, so I know it can't be that difficult, but I'm still lost over it. Any pointers in the right direction here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Try downloading the program Geogebra (Web Start) - it's free math software, then let it draw the graph of this "weird" thing. You'll probably see what the answer is..

No I have not heard of that geometric figure before, but I do know that the square root prevents the function from crossing zero and becoming a negative number, and in a sense resembles half of a horizontal parabola. Now for the obvious question, how does that help me? :-p

Okay, how about

x2 + y2 = r2

Is that figure more familiar to you?

Ohh it's a circle, I see it now, the radius is 3 so I just need to use the area formula and divide the answer by 4. Thanks for all the help guys :smile:

Related to Solve for the Area of a Region: Integral of sqrt(9-x^2) over [0,3]

1. What is a "weird" integral?

A "weird" integral is any integral that may seem unconventional or difficult to solve at first glance. This can include integrals with unusual limits, integrands with complicated expressions, or integrals that require special techniques to solve.

2. How do you approach solving a "weird" integral?

The approach to solving a "weird" integral will depend on the specific integral in question. However, some common strategies include using substitution or integration by parts, breaking the integral into smaller parts, or using properties of definite integrals such as linearity or symmetry.

3. Are there any tips for solving "weird" integrals?

Yes, some general tips for solving "weird" integrals include identifying any patterns or symmetries in the integrand, using trigonometric identities or other algebraic techniques to simplify the integrand, and being familiar with a variety of integration techniques.

4. Can you give an example of a "weird" integral?

Sure, an example of a "weird" integral could be the integral of the function f(x) = x^2 / (x^3 + 1) with limits of integration from 0 to 1. This integral may seem "weird" because the integrand is a rational function with a degree higher in the denominator than the numerator, making it difficult to integrate using basic techniques.

5. Are "weird" integrals important in scientific research?

Yes, "weird" integrals can be important in scientific research as they often arise in mathematical models and equations used to describe physical phenomena. Being able to solve these integrals accurately and efficiently can be crucial in understanding and predicting real-world systems.