Area of a bounded region using integration

In summary, the area under the curve difference between f(x) and g(x) at the point (x,y) is dA=f(x)dx-g(x)dx.
Steven_Scott
Member advised that the homework template must be used, not deleted
In Calculus II, we're currently learning how to find the area of a bounded region using integration. My professor wants us to solve a problem where we're given a graph of two arbitrary functions, f(x) and g(x) and their intersection points, labeled (a,b) and (c,d) with nothing else given.

I know how to find set up the integration if I'm given the functions explicitly but these aren't specified. Everything I find in textbooks and on-line only gives examples with specified functions, not arbitrary ones labeled f(x) and g(x).

Can someone please show me how I'd go about setting up a problem like this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Steven_Scott said:
In Calculus II, we're currently learning how to find the area of a bounded region using integration. My professor wants us to solve a problem where we're given a graph of two arbitrary functions, f(x) and g(x) and their intersection points, labeled (a,b) and (b,c) with nothing else given.

I know how to find set up the integration if I'm given the functions explicitly but these aren't specified. Everything I find in textbooks and on-line only gives examples with specified functions, not arbitrary ones labeled f(x) and g(x).

Can someone please show me how I'd go about setting up a problem like this?

If ##f(x) = x^2## and ##g(x) = x ## what would you do and why?

You then need to generalise this approach.

Likes Steven_Scott
Steven_Scott said:
... where we're given a graph of two arbitrary functions, f(x) and g(x) and their intersection points, labeled (a,b) and (b,c) ...
Is there a typo here? Shouldn't the intersection points be (a,b) and (c,d)?

Likes Steven_Scott
kuruman said:
Is there a typo here? Shouldn't the intersection points be (a,b) and (c,d)?

You're right.
Thank you.

I don't understand how you can possibly be given a formulation that is only for particular functions and not general. E.g for the area delimited by the x-axis, a function f(x) and x = a and x = b for example.
The answer to this question will not be the most neat compressed formula, but one of those more strung-out 'peicewise' mones involving x≥, x≤ etc. that you have surely met and done exercises on, e.g. when they were explaining what what is meant by a function.

Last edited:
##f(x)dx## is an elemental area "under the curve" consisting of a rectangle of height ##f(x)## and width ##dx## located at some ##x##.
##g(x)dx## is an elemental area"under the curve" consisting of a rectangle of height ##g(x)## and width ##dx## located at the same ##x##.
##dA=f(x)dx-g(x)dx## is the "area under the curve" difference between ##f(x)dx## and ##g(x)dx## also at the same ##x##.
What is the total "area under the curve" difference in the interval ##x_1 \le x \le x_2##?
Hint Add all the ##dA##'s together and write an expression for the sum in terms of the given symbols.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a bounded region using integration?

The formula for finding the area of a bounded region using integration is: A = ∫ab f(x) dx, where A represents the area, a and b are the bounds of the region, and f(x) is the function that defines the boundary of the region.

2. How is integration used to find the area of a bounded region?

Integration is used to find the area of a bounded region by breaking the region into smaller, infinitesimal rectangles and summing up their areas using the formula A = ∫ab f(x) dx. This process is known as Riemann sum, and as the width of the rectangles approaches zero, the sum approaches the exact area of the bounded region.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration is used to find the exact value of a definite integral, which represents the area under a curve between two specific values. On the other hand, indefinite integration is used to find the general formula for a function, known as its antiderivative, without any specific bounds.

4. Can integration be used to find the area of a region with a curved boundary?

Yes, integration can be used to find the area of a region with a curved boundary. In this case, the function f(x) in the formula A = ∫ab f(x) dx will represent the equation of the curve that defines the boundary of the region.

5. Are there any other methods to find the area of a bounded region besides integration?

Yes, besides integration, the area of a bounded region can also be found using geometric formulas, such as the area of a triangle or a circle. However, these methods are limited to specific shapes and may not be applicable to more complex regions with irregular boundaries.