Question on aristotles theory of motion

In summary, it seems that the conversation is about a report on an experiment involving a hall cart and an incline, with the goal of testing a hypothesis related to the relationship between distance and time. It is mentioned that this experiment may challenge a hypothesis of Aristotle's, but it is not clear which specific hypothesis is being examined. Further clarification and a reference from Aristotle's work is requested.
terpsgirl
I'm doing a report that's due soon, and it was on an experiement...my hypothesis was that distance is directly related to time...we did an experiment w/ a hall cart and incline...I said that it proved aristotle to be incorrect...i know his theories but how should i go forth explaining...

thx

Physics news on Phys.org
explaining...

explaining...what? :wink:

terpsgirl said:
I'm doing a report that's due soon, and it was on an experiement...my hypothesis was that distance is directly related to time...we did an experiment w/ a hall cart and incline...I said that it proved aristotle to be incorrect...i know his theories but how should i go forth explaining...

thx
From what I am able to glean from this, the particular hypothesis from Aristotle that the experiment contadicts, is that
"heavier objects fall faster than lighter objects due to gravity"

Am I right about this being the hypothesis to be tested?

If it is, the hypothesis is falsified by noting that lighter objects fall at the same rate as heavier objects (the frictional force from the incline should be proportional to the mass of the given object; hence the net acceleration should still be independent of object mass.)

It may be however, that the hypothesis of Aristotle you were to examine, is that, in the absence of external forces, a given object will tend to come to rest (i.e, in opposition to Newton's 1.law).
I don't see, however, how the given experiment would be a good indicator of the failure of Aristotle's experiment.

If you're still confused, please clarify what the experiment actually measured, and which hypothesis of Aristotle that was to be falsified by it.

Edit:
Hypothesis: "Distance directly related to time":
I don't understand this:
Do you mean you tried to establish if the distance traveled down an incline is directly proportional to the time spent?
(Of course, you'll find a quadratic dependence on time instead)

I have never heard that Aristotle maintained this view!
If you could cough up a reference which explicitly says he did, please do!

Last edited:

1. What is Aristotle's theory of motion?

Aristotle's theory of motion is the belief that all objects in the natural world have an inherent tendency to move towards their natural place in the universe. This natural place is determined by the four elements (earth, water, air, and fire) and the objects' qualities (hot, cold, wet, dry).

2. How does Aristotle's theory of motion differ from Newton's laws of motion?

Aristotle's theory of motion is based on observation and belief, while Newton's laws of motion are based on mathematical principles and experimentation. Additionally, Aristotle's theory considers motion to be a natural and continuous process, while Newton's laws state that an external force is needed to change an object's motion.

3. What are the main criticisms of Aristotle's theory of motion?

One of the main criticisms of Aristotle's theory of motion is that it does not account for the concept of inertia, which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force. Additionally, his theory does not consider the role of gravity in the motion of objects.

4. How did Aristotle's theory of motion influence later scientific thought?

Aristotle's theory of motion had a significant impact on later scientific thought, particularly in the fields of physics and astronomy. His ideas were widely accepted and taught for centuries until they were challenged and eventually replaced by the laws of motion proposed by Galileo and Newton.

5. Can Aristotle's theory of motion be applied to modern scientific understanding?

While Aristotle's theory of motion has been largely disproven by modern scientific understanding, some aspects of his ideas still hold true. For example, his belief that objects have an inherent tendency to move towards their natural place can be seen in the concept of gravitational pull towards the center of mass. However, his theory is not considered a comprehensive explanation of motion in the modern world.