Circuit analysis with diodes

In summary, for basic circuit analysis of circuits with diodes, assuming a silicon diode with a constant 0.6-0.7 V voltage drop, the current is 0 when V is below the diode-drop voltage and infinite when V is above it. However, for a real diode, the current will likely burn it up if there is no resistor in the circuit as the voltage increases quickly above the forward threshold voltage.
dancavallaro
How do I do basic circuit analysis of circuits that have diodes in them? For example, if I have a basic circuit consisting of just a voltage source, a resistor, and a silicon diode, how would I calculate the current in the circuit?

Engineering news on Phys.org
For basic analysis (and assuming a silicon diode), assume a constant 0.6-0.7 V voltage drop at the diode.

Here's a recent Homework Help thread discussing analyzing a circuit with diodes in it. The thread starts off assuming "ideal" diodes with Vf = 0V, but does address real diodes later with Vf = 0.6 to 0.7V, etc.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=289232

Ah, thanks for that link! What happens if there's no resistor in the circuit and it's just a diode hooked up to a voltage source?

Redbelly98 said:
Google "diode equation"

I found the diode equation, but I think it's overkill for my needs. Mapes, and the link berekman posted, helped a lot for my purposes. The only thing I don't get now though, is what happens when the diode is hooked up with no resistor. Is the current 0, or is it infinite? I'm inclined to say that it would be "infinite", but is that right?

If the diode equation is overkill, then the simple answer is:

The current is 0 when V is below the diode-drop voltage (about 0.7V).
The current is infinite when V is above the diode-drop voltage.

dancavallaro said:
I found the diode equation, but I think it's overkill for my needs. Mapes, and the link berekman posted, helped a lot for my purposes. The only thing I don't get now though, is what happens when the diode is hooked up with no resistor. Is the current 0, or is it infinite? I'm inclined to say that it would be "infinite", but is that right?

For a real diode, you will probably burn it up. Look at the plot of the diode equation -- the current increases quickly for voltages above the forward threshold voltage. And since power P = V * I, the power dissipated increases quickly as well. Real diodes have limits on how much power they can handle...

What are diodes and how do they work?

Diodes are electronic components that allow current to flow in only one direction. They are made of semiconductor material, which has a specific band gap that determines the direction of current flow. When a voltage is applied in the forward direction, the diode conducts current, but when the voltage is applied in the reverse direction, the diode blocks current flow.

Why are diodes used in circuits?

Diodes are used in circuits for a variety of reasons, including rectifying AC signals into DC signals, protecting circuits from reverse voltage, and controlling the flow of current in a specific direction. They are also used in voltage regulators, signal demodulators, and power supplies.

How do you analyze a circuit with diodes?

To analyze a circuit with diodes, you can use Kirchhoff's circuit laws, Ohm's law, and the diode current-voltage relationship. You can also use circuit analysis techniques such as nodal analysis and mesh analysis. It is important to understand how diodes behave in different circuit configurations, such as series and parallel, and to consider the voltage and current limitations of the diode.

What is the difference between ideal and real diodes?

Ideal diodes are theoretical components that have a perfect current-voltage relationship and do not have any limitations. They conduct current in the forward direction and block it in the reverse direction. Real diodes, on the other hand, have imperfections and limitations, such as a threshold voltage and a maximum reverse voltage rating. These limitations must be taken into account when analyzing circuits with real diodes.

How do temperature and light affect diode behavior?

Temperature can affect diode behavior by changing the band gap and altering the diode's current-voltage relationship. As the temperature increases, the band gap decreases, causing the diode to conduct more current in the reverse direction. Light can also affect diode behavior, as some diodes are photo-sensitive and can produce a current when exposed to light. This property is used in solar cells and light sensors.