Oh no, conceptual questions, I

• Thread starter samsungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, the magnitude of the electric field at a point in space is not affected by the distance, sign or magnitude of the charge causing the field, and is instead determined by the force experienced by a unit charge at that point. When the magnitude of the charge is doubled, the electric field at a distance of 10 meters from a negative point charge is 2E. In a uniform, constant magnetic field, the magnetic force does not do any work on a charged particle and does not change its kinetic energy. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right hand rule. In the last question, the direction of the magnetic field would be east.
samsungman
Hey all, I have some hard times with these critical thinking questions. Please help me out. Thanks.

1. The magnitude of the electric field at a point in space does not depend upon...
a. The distance from the charge causing the field.
b. The sign of the chrge causing the field.
c. The magnitude of the charge causing the field.
d. The force that a unit positive charge will experience at that point.
e. The force that a unit negative charge will experience at that point.

I guess you use these equations:
[tex]
F = k_e \frac {Q_1 Q_2} {r^2}
[/tex]
[tex]
E = \frac {F}{q_0}
[/tex]

2. The magnitude of the electric field at a distance of 10 meters from a negative point charge is E. What is the magnitude of the electric field at the same location if the magnitude of the charge is doubled?

I'd say 2E since it is directly proportional?

3. A charged particle is moving in a uniform, constant magnetic field. Which one of the following statements concerning the magnetic force exerted on the particle is false?
a. It does no work on the particle.
b. It increases the speed of the particle.
c. It changes the velocity of the particle.
d. It can act only on a particle in motion.
e. It does not change the kinetic energy of the particle.

Uhm... I chose e because it is in a constant magnetic field?

4. A proton traveling due north enters a region that contains both a magnetic field and an electric field. The electric field lines point due west. It is observed that the proton continues to travel in a straight line due north. In which direction must the magnetic field lines point?
a. Up
b. Down
c. East
d. West
e. South

I'm bad in right hand rule, but wouldn't it be up?

5. A proton is traveling south as it enters a region that contains a magnetic field. The proton is deflected downward toward the earth. What is the direction of the magnetic field?
a. Downward, toward the earth
b. West
c. North
d. East
E. South

Um... I use the right hand rule again right? :grumpy: Downward?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2 is ok
3 is wrong

1:The sign has nothing to do with the magnitude value
2:Youre right
3:Magnetic field does not do any work on the particle. The speed remains constant even though the velocity varies. Hence kinetic energy is always the same.
4:No, it would be downwards
5:Draw it out. It helps. East.

Did you use the 2nd right hand rule for the last question?

What do you mean the "2nd right hand rule"? You just use the standard RHR - you know the direction of the force and the velocity, so point your thumb and palm in the right directions and see where your fingers are pointing.

1. What is the meaning of "Oh no, conceptual questions, I"?

The phrase "Oh no, conceptual questions, I" is a common expression used to express frustration or confusion when confronted with difficult or abstract concepts in a scientific or academic context.

2. How do you deal with conceptual questions in your research?

When faced with conceptual questions in my research, I often break down the concept into smaller, more manageable parts and try to understand each component individually before putting them together. I also seek out resources such as textbooks, articles, or experts in the field to help me gain a deeper understanding.

3. Can conceptual questions be answered definitively?

It depends on the nature of the question. Some conceptual questions may have clear and definitive answers based on scientific evidence and research, while others may be open to interpretation and ongoing debate within the scientific community.

4. How can I improve my understanding of complex concepts?

There are several ways to improve your understanding of complex concepts. One approach is to actively engage with the material by asking questions, participating in discussions, and seeking out additional resources. Visual aids such as diagrams, charts, and graphs can also help in understanding complex concepts. Additionally, breaking down the concept into smaller, more manageable parts and connecting it to real-world examples can aid in comprehension.

5. Are conceptual questions important in scientific research?

Yes, conceptual questions are essential in scientific research as they help to deepen our understanding of complex phenomena and drive the development of new theories and discoveries. By challenging existing ideas and theories, conceptual questions can lead to breakthroughs and advancements in various scientific fields.