Are there any experiments that supports de broglie-Bohm theory?

In summary, there are a lot of experiments to disproof hidden variable theories with Bell's inequalities (local) and Leggett's inequalities (non-local). But de broglie-Bohm theory (dBB) survives from all of them. Also, I know there is an Quantum Equilibrium Hypothesis says that everything that disproof dBB, will also disproof standard quantum mechanics (SQM). However, is there any experiment that gives better results on dBB than SQM? Or is there any experiment that supports dBB against SQM? Isn't this dBB and QM equivalence a bit overestimated? As far as I know, QM does not explain behaviour of many particles states. So,
cryptist
There are a lot of experiments to disproof hidden variable theories with Bell's inequalities (local) and Leggett's inequalities (non-local). But de broglie-Bohm theory (dBB) survives from all of them. Also I know there is an Quantum Equilibrium Hypothesis says that everything that disproof dBB, will also disproof standard quantum mechanics (SQM).

But, is there any experiment that gives better results on dBB than SQM? Or is there any experiment that supports dBB against SQM?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this dBB and QM equivalence a bit overestimated? As far as I know, QM does not explain behaviour of many particles states. So, it has been already disproven, since there is certainly more than one particle in the universe. So is dBB.

dBB assumes particles are hard balls, so it is difficult to explain i.e. decay, annihilation or flavour oscillations.

haael said:
Isn't this dBB and QM equivalence a bit overestimated? As far as I know, QM does not explain behaviour of many particles states. So, it has been already disproven, since there is certainly more than one particle in the universe. So is dBB.

dBB assumes particles are hard balls, so it is difficult to explain i.e. decay, annihilation or flavour oscillations.
All these difficulties are removed by the dBB interpretation of quantum field theory:
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0904.2287 [Int. J. Mod. Phys. A25:1477-1505, 2010]

cryptist said:
But, is there any experiment that gives better results on dBB than SQM? Or is there any experiment that supports dBB against SQM?
I think that time in QM better fits in the dBB thinking than in the SQM thinking:
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0811.1905 [Int. J. Quantum Inf. 7 (2009) 595-602]

Demystifier said:
I think that time in QM better fits in the dBB thinking than in the SQM thinking:
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0811.1905 [Int. J. Quantum Inf. 7 (2009) 595-602]

Ok, but is there any experiment that distinguishes the difference of dbb and SQM? Or there can be such an experiment?

cryptist said:
Ok, but is there any experiment that distinguishes the difference of dbb and SQM? Or there can be such an experiment?
Well, dBB is richer than SQM in the sense that it allows a POSSIBILITY that a system may be out of quantum equilibrium, i.e., the statistical distribution may differ from |psi|^2. Such a possibility is very unlikely in dBB, but is still possible. So, if one would find a system in which the empirical distribution is not given by |psi|^2, this would contradict SQM, but perhaps could still be explained by dBB. For more details search for papers by A. Valentiny.

Demystifier said:
For more details search for papers by A. Valentiny.
A. Valentini

Thanks for the comments :)

1. What is the De Broglie-Bohm theory?

The De Broglie-Bohm theory, also known as the pilot-wave theory, is a quantum mechanics interpretation that posits the existence of a hidden variable guiding the behavior of particles. This theory suggests that particles have both a physical wave-like aspect as well as a particle-like aspect.

2. How does the De Broglie-Bohm theory differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

The De Broglie-Bohm theory is different from other interpretations of quantum mechanics, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, because it does not involve randomness or collapse of the wave function. Instead, it proposes that particles have definite positions and velocities at all times, which are determined by a guiding wave.

3. What experiments have been conducted to support the De Broglie-Bohm theory?

There have been several experiments that have been conducted to support the De Broglie-Bohm theory. For example, the delayed-choice quantum eraser experiment, the double-slit experiment with delayed choice, and the quantum eraser with entangled photons have all provided evidence for the pilot-wave theory.

4. What are some criticisms of the De Broglie-Bohm theory?

One of the main criticisms of the De Broglie-Bohm theory is that it requires the existence of a hidden variable, which is not supported by empirical evidence. Additionally, it has been argued that the theory is not as mathematically elegant as other interpretations of quantum mechanics.

5. Is the De Broglie-Bohm theory widely accepted by the scientific community?

The De Broglie-Bohm theory is still a topic of debate and is not widely accepted by the scientific community. While it has some supporters, many physicists still favor other interpretations of quantum mechanics. More research and experimentation is needed to fully understand the validity of the De Broglie-Bohm theory.