Image of two homographic transformations (Möbius transformations)

In summary: That makes a lot of sense. In summary, for 1), we can show that ##T(z)## maps the points ##1, i, -i## to points that lie on the line ##\{re(z)=1\}##, thus proving that the image of the circle centered at the origin and of radius 1 under this transformation is the line ##\{re(z)=1\}##.
mahler1
Homework Statement .

1) Let ##T## be the transformation over the extended complex plane that sends the poins ##0,i,-i## to the points ##0,1,\infty##. Prove that the image of the circle centered at the origin and of radius ##1## under this transformation is the line ##\{re(z)=1\}##.

2) For ##\alpha \in \mathbb C## such that ##|\alpha|\neq 1##, prove that the homographic transformation ##T(z)=\dfrac{z-\alpha}{-\overline\alpha z+1}## sends the circle ##\{|z|=1\}## to itself and sends ##\alpha## to ##0##.The attempt at a solution.

1) Let ##T(z)=\dfrac{az+b}{cz+d}##. Then, ##T(0)=0##, so ##b=0##. ##T(i)=1## and from this condition we get that ##ai=ci+d##, so ##a=c-di##. From the last condition we get that ##c(-i)+d=0##, so ##d=ci##. Finally, ##T(z)=\dfrac{2z}{z+i}##.

Sorry if this is obvious but how do I show that for any ##z \in \{|z|=1\}##, ##T(z)=w## with ##w## of the form ##w=1+bi##, ##b \in \mathbb R##?.

2) I have the same problem, if ##z \in \{|z|=1\}##, I want to show that ##T(z)=w## such that if ##w=a+bi##, then ##a^2+b^2=1##.

Edition:

I could solve 2), what I did was ##{T(z)}^2=T(z) \overline {T(z)}## and I could prove that the last expression equals to ##1##.

I would appreciate some help for 1).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

1) Let ##T## be the transformation over the extended complex plane that sends the poins ##0,i,-i## to the points ##0,1,\infty##. Prove that the image of the circle centered at the origin and of radius ##1## under this transformation is the line ##\{re(z)=1\}##.

2) For ##\alpha \in \mathbb C## such that ##|\alpha|\neq 1##, prove that the homographic transformation ##T(z)=\dfrac{z-\alpha}{-\overline\alpha z+1}## sends the circle ##\{|z|=1\}## to itself and sends ##\alpha## to ##0##.

The attempt at a solution.

1) Let ##T(z)=\dfrac{az+b}{cz+d}##. Then, ##T(0)=0##, so ##b=0##. ##T(i)=1## and from this condition we get that ##ai=ci+d##, so ##a=c-di##. From the last condition we get that ##c(-i)+d=0##, so ##d=ci##. Finally, ##T(z)=\dfrac{2z}{z+i}##.

Sorry if this is obvious but how do I show that for any ##z \in \{|z|=1\}##, ##T(z)=w## with ##w## of the form ##w=1+bi##, ##b \in \mathbb R##?.

2) I have the same problem, if ##z \in \{|z|=1\}##, I want to show that ##T(z)=w## such that if ##w=a+bi##, then ##a^2+b^2=1##.

Edition:

I could solve 2), what I did was ##{T(z)}^2=T(z) \overline {T(z)}## and I could prove that the last expression equals to ##1##.

I would appreciate some help for 1).

For 1) if you know Mobius transformations will map circles to either lines or circles then if you just compute T(1), T(i) and T(-i) and notice they are all on the line Re(z)=1 that will do it. If you want to be more explicit I'd multiply numerator and denominator of 2z/(z+i) by z* (remembering zz*=1 since |z|=1) and then use that z=a+bi where a^2+b^2=1 and convert it to rectangular form.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
For 1) if you know Mobius transformations will map circles to either lines or circles then if you just compute T(1), T(i) and T(-i) and notice they are all on the line Re(z)=1 that will do it. If you want to be more explicit I'd multiply numerator and denominator of 2z/(z+i) by z* (remembering zz*=1 since |z|=1) and then use that z=a+bi where a^2+b^2=1 and convert it to rectangular form.

Thanks Dick!

1. What is a homographic transformation?

A homographic transformation, also known as a Möbius transformation, is a type of transformation in mathematics that maps points from one complex plane to another complex plane.

2. How is a homographic transformation represented?

A homographic transformation can be represented by the equation f(z) = (az + b) / (cz + d), where z is a complex number and a, b, c, and d are constants.

3. What is the significance of two homographic transformations?

When two homographic transformations are composed, the resulting transformation is also a homographic transformation. This allows for the creation of more complex transformations by combining simpler ones.

4. How are homographic transformations used in real life?

Homographic transformations have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model the movement of objects, design and manipulate 3D shapes, and create special effects in movies and video games.

5. Are there any limitations to homographic transformations?

Yes, homographic transformations have certain limitations. For example, they cannot map a point to infinity or to the same point. They also cannot preserve angles or distances in all cases.