Directional derivative and gradient vector

P(2,-1,-2) in the direction of v=i+2j-2k is -1/6, with the gradient vector of <1/2, -1, -1/2>. It seems that there may have been a mistake in calculating the gradient vector, as the reported answer in the textbook is -1/6. All other steps and calculations seem to be correct.
kasse

Homework Statement

Find the directional derivative of f=sqrt(xyz) at P(2,-1,-2) in the direction of v=i+2j-2k

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculate the gradient vector and obtain grad(f) at P= <1/2, 1, 1/2>

Then I find the unit vector of v, which is <1/3, 2/3, -2/3>

The directional derivative is the dot product of these two: 1/6 + 2/3 -2/6, which is 1/2. However, the answer is supposed to be -1/6 according to my textbook. Where's my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your mistake lies in your calculation of [tex]\vec\nabla f[/tex]

Its should be: [tex]\vec\nabla f = <1/2, -1, -1/2>[/tex]

Check your work for that part. Other than that everything else looks good. I get -1/6 for the directional derivative with that gradient. Good Luck!

G01

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the instantaneous rate of change of a function in a particular direction.

2. How is a directional derivative calculated?

A directional derivative is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient vector of the function and a unit vector in the desired direction.

3. What is the purpose of finding a directional derivative?

The directional derivative allows us to understand how a function changes in a specific direction, which is useful in optimizing functions and understanding the behavior of surfaces in multivariable calculus.

4. What is the relationship between the gradient vector and directional derivative?

The gradient vector points in the direction of steepest increase of a function and its magnitude is equal to the directional derivative in that direction.

5. Can the directional derivative be negative?

Yes, the directional derivative can be negative if the function is decreasing in the given direction. It can also be zero if the function is constant in that direction.