Finding Directional Derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses finding possible combinations of a and b values that satisfy the equation 3a-4b=4, which represents the direction vector for the given gradient at point P(1,-1). The equation is set equal to the desired directional derivative and it is noted that there are an infinite number of possible combinations for a and b. It is also mentioned that the direction vector should have a magnitude of 1 and a convenient way to write a unit vector making an angle of θ with respect to the positive x-axis is discussed.
Amadeo
Homework Statement
see post
Relevant Equations
∇f⋅u= Direction vector
DDquestion2.PNG
DDQuestion1.PNG

The gradient is < (2x-y), (-x+2y-1) >
at P(1,-1) the gradient is <3, -4>

Since ∇f⋅u= Direction vector, it seems that we should set the equation equal to the desired directional derivative.

< 3, -4 > ⋅ < a, b > = 4

which becomes

3a-4b=4

I thought of making a list of possible combinations of a's and b's which satisfy this equation like so

a, b
corresponding direction vector

0, 1
<0, 1>

(4/3), 0
(for which there is no direction vector??)

2, (1/2)
< 4/√17 , 1/√17 >

But it seems that there are an infinite number of possible combinations. And the question is asking for all of them.

Thank you for your assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
i am not sure but i don't think it can be infinite in two dimension
i think it is two
##
(3,-4) , (a,b) = 5.1.cos \theta = 4
##
there is two values of theta one negative of the other. maybe in three dimension you might have infinite vectors because they all in a cone of same theta. but in two dimension i think it might be two vectors

Amadeo said:
Problem Statement: see post
Relevant Equations: ∇f⋅u= Direction vector

View attachment 244655View attachment 244656

The gradient is < (2x-y), (-x+2y-1) >
at P(1,-1) the gradient is <3, -4>

Since ∇f⋅u= Direction vector, it seems that we should set the equation equal to the desired directional derivative.

< 3, -4 > ⋅ < a, b > = 4

which becomes

3a-4b=4

I thought of making a list of possible combinations of a's and b's which satisfy this equation like so

a, b
corresponding direction vector

0, 1
<0, 1>

(4/3), 0
(for which there is no direction vector??)

2, (1/2)
< 4/√17 , 1/√17 >

But it seems that there are an infinite number of possible combinations. And the question is asking for all of them.

Thank you for your assistance.
The direction vector, ##\vec{u}##, should have a magnitude of 1, i.e, it should be a unit vector.

What is a convenient way to write a unit vector, in particular a unit vector making a angle of ##\theta## with respect to the positive x-axis ?

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of how a function changes in a specific direction at a certain point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function in the direction of a given vector.

2. How is the directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient vector of the function and the unit vector in the direction of interest. This can also be written as the product of the magnitude of the gradient and the cosine of the angle between the gradient and the direction vector.

3. What is the significance of the directional derivative?

The directional derivative is important in understanding how a function changes in a specific direction, which can be useful in many applications such as optimization, physics, and engineering. It also helps to determine the direction of steepest ascent or descent of a function at a given point.

4. Can the directional derivative be negative?

Yes, the directional derivative can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in the direction of interest at the given point. A positive directional derivative means the function is increasing in that direction, and a zero directional derivative means the function is constant in that direction.

5. How is the directional derivative used in real-world applications?

The directional derivative is used in many real-world applications, such as determining the path of a moving object, calculating the rate of change of temperature in a specific direction, and optimizing functions in various fields such as economics and engineering. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic lighting effects.