Limits of Integration and finding k

In summary, the joint pdf given as kxy for 0 < x < y < 1 has a value of k = 8. The limits for the y integral can be chosen as either from x to 1 or from 0 to y, both resulting in the correct answer. The region being integrated over is a triangle with vertices (0,0), (1,1), and (0,1), and the limits for the integrals can be set using vertical or horizontal strips.
scothoward

Homework Statement

Joint pdf given as kxy for 0 < x < y < 1.

Find the value of k.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the process of finding k - doing the double integral and setting it to 1. What I don't understand is the limits of integration for y.

I've seen two different limits set, but I still cannot seem to figure out how and why it is done.

I have seen the integral of x from 0 to 1 and the integral of y from x to 1. I have also seen the integral of x from 0 to 1 and the integral of y from 0 to y. Both give the correct answer of k = 8. My question is how do you go about choosing the limits for the y integral?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have seen the integral of x from 0 to 1 and the integral of y from x to 1. I have also seen the integral of x from 0 to 1 and the integral of y from 0 to y.
The latter does not make sense; it more likely read "integral of y from 0 to 1 and the integral of x from 0 to y".

The region being integrated over is the triangle with vertices (0,0), (1,1) and (0,1). Using vertical strips, we have the limits

[tex]\int_{x \, = \, 0}^{x=1} \int_{y=x}^{y=1} kxy \, dy \, dx[/tex],

or, using horizontal strips, we have

[tex]\int_{y=0}^{y=1} \int_{x=0}^{x=y} kxy \, dx \, dy[/tex].

(The limits in the integrals read "x=0", "x=1" etc -- the equals signs look like minus signs in this latex, unfortunately; I've included them for clarity.)

Both are equivalent.

1. What are the limits of integration in calculus?

The limits of integration in calculus refer to the upper and lower bounds of a function that is being integrated. These limits are typically represented by the letters "a" and "b" and can be either finite or infinite.

2. How do you find the limits of integration?

The limits of integration can be found by analyzing the given function and determining the values of "a" and "b" that correspond to the upper and lower bounds of the function's domain. This can be done by looking at the graph of the function or by solving for the values algebraically.

3. What is the significance of finding the limits of integration?

Finding the limits of integration is important in calculus because it allows us to evaluate definite integrals, which represent the area under a curve. Without knowing the limits of integration, we cannot accurately calculate the area under the curve.

4. How do you determine the value of "k" in integration?

The value of "k" in integration, also known as the constant of integration, is determined by the initial conditions of the problem or by using specific rules for different types of integrals. It is typically added to the result of an indefinite integral to account for the range of possible solutions.

5. Can the limits of integration change in an integral?

Yes, the limits of integration can change in an integral depending on the problem being solved. For example, when using the change of variables method, the limits of integration may need to be adjusted to correspond to the new variables being used. Additionally, when solving multiple integrals, the limits may change for each successive integration.