Understanding Nuclear Fission Yields: U-233, U-235, Pu-239, and Pu-241

In summary, the conversation discusses the most common thermal fission products for U-233, U-235, Pu-239, and Pu-241, and the difference between cumulative and independent fission yield. It also mentions discrepancies in values found on different sources and confusion about the definition of cumulative yield. The expert suggests that cumulative yield is relevant for reactor operation and waste management, while independent yield is more immediate.
Combustible
I'm looking for the most common thermal fission products for U-233, U-235, Pu-239 and Pu-241. As far as I understand it there are two quantities of interest, the cumulative fission yield and the independent fission yield. The latter being "number of atoms of a specific nuclide produced directly by a fission event (not via radioactive decay of the precursors)," whilst the former does include the precursors. This is defined http://www-nds.iaea.org/sgnucdat/safeg2008.pdf" .

I have found some values http://www-nds.iaea.org/sgnucdat/c3.htm" . Unless I've misunderstood both the cumulative fission yield and the independent fission yield columns should add up to 100% yet the cumulative fission yield sums to considerably more than that and the independent fission yield less than that.

Wikipedia gives a list of products in order of yield for U-235 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fission_product_yield" . This is apparently based on the link above but the two don't seem to correspond and I don't know where the numbers have come from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the independent yields should add to 200%. No idea about the cumulative, and in fact I am rescuing this thread to ask what is exactly the definition of cummulative... Should not be only the final stable nuclei?

Cumulative yield for a given nuclide includes it's yield from fission, from decay and from transmutation, since fission products absorbs neutrons, e.g., Te-134 > I-134 > Xe-134 > Cs-134 > Ba-134 . . . and e.g., I-133 + n => I-134, Xe-133 + n => Xe-134, . . . .

Likes arivero
Ok, to fix it:

independent yields are the immediate yields
cumulative yields are all the possible nuclei during the reaction process
chain yields are the final stable nuclei, or very long term.

I guess cumulative is for radatiation in the reactor and chain for the nuclear waste.

Cumulative is what we have to deal with in the reactor, and later on in either reprocessing or spent fuel. Certainly the cumulative yields provide the isotopic vector at shutdown. The reinsert fuel will go back in and the fission products will again change. Depletion codes have to track production, transmutation and decay. The discharge fuel will define the waste, with it's from recycling or from direct burial of spent/used fuel.

What is nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is a process in which the nucleus of an atom splits into two or more smaller nuclei, releasing a large amount of energy.

How is nuclear fission used?

Nuclear fission is used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity. It is also used in nuclear weapons and for research purposes.

What are nuclear fission yields?

Nuclear fission yields are the products that are created when an atom undergoes fission. This includes energy, as well as various types of radiation and other byproducts.

What factors affect nuclear fission yields?

The amount and type of energy released during nuclear fission can be influenced by a number of factors, such as the type of atom undergoing fission, the speed at which it is fissioning, and the presence of other particles or materials.

What are the potential dangers of nuclear fission yields?

One of the main concerns with nuclear fission yields is the potential for radiation exposure. The byproducts of fission can also be harmful to the environment if not properly contained and disposed of.