Pu-239 + 1N fissions into what?

• Thread starter alancj
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student working on their last question for their high school program, which involves completing equations related to nuclear fission and fusion. The student is struggling with one part of the equation which involves finding the products of a Pu-239 fission event, as there is no single answer and the student's textbook does not provide enough information. They have tried researching and using possible isotopes, but have not found a solution that balances the equation. The student is considering just inventing some isotopes to complete the equation.
alancj
I'm working on my very last question of the last exam of the last class for my corespondents high school program. Almost done! But I need help on this one. I've spent too much time on it already but I still don't know how to answer it.

Homework Statement

"Complete each equation. Classify each as nuclear fission or nuclear fusion:

(a.) 239/94 Pu + 1/0 N -----> ________________ + 3 (1/0 N) + _________________

(b.) 2/1 H + 3/1 H ------> 4/2 He + __________________ + _________________ "

The above numbers (x/y) is a super-script and sub-script respectively.

Homework Equations

Above

The Attempt at a Solution

Classifying them is easy enough, (a.) is fission and (b.) is fusion. I also found from Wikipedia's Fusion article what I think is the right answer. In the first blank I have 1 neutron and in the second blank I've given the total energy released of 17.6 MeV. I don't know if I should try and show how that would be calculated, by finding the mass defect and using E=mc^2.

part (a.) is more difficult because from the research I've done the is no single pair of isotopes that Pu-239 will always split into. There are dozens of different elements and isotopes it could break into. All I know is that the protons & neutrons on the right side should add up to the left side. My textbook only has one chapter on Nuclear Physics and does not give more than a few paragraphs on fission. So it doesn't really give me the information of how to solve this.

So since there is no one answer for it I thought I would try and find a generic example of a common (most probable) way a Pu atom could fission, and use that. I never could find anything spelled out (unlike for U 235 which I've found many example equations), just some probability graphs from Wikipedia's Fission product yield article. I've tried Xe and Zr or Tc and Sb or Rh and Sn, but I can't find any real isotopes of those that actually add together to balance the equation out. Is there any two isotopes that could be used to "fill in the blanks" in question (a.) or is it more likely to be 3 isotopes and I need to add a "blank" to their equation? Also should I include the energy released from the reaction, like I did with (b.)?

Thanks for the help.
Alan

Physics news on Phys.org
alancj said:
part (a.) is more difficult because from the research I've done the is no single pair of isotopes that Pu-239 will always split into. There are dozens of different elements and isotopes it could break into. All I know is that the protons & neutrons on the right side should add up to the left side. My textbook only has one chapter on Nuclear Physics and does not give more than a few paragraphs on fission. So it doesn't really give me the information of how to solve this.

Right, well once the numbers add up, all are correct. But if you should check if you are given the masses of certain elements. Because if you are, then you should try to use those elements.

alancj said:
So since there is no one answer for it I thought I would try and find a generic example of a common (most probable) way a Pu atom could fission, and use that. I never could find anything spelled out (unlike for U 235 which I've found many example equations), just some probability graphs from Wikipedia's Fission product yield article. I've tried Xe and Zr or Tc and Sb or Rh and Sn, but I can't find any real isotopes of those that actually add together to balance the equation out. Is there any two isotopes that could be used to "fill in the blanks" in question (a.) or is it more likely to be 3 isotopes and I need to add a "blank" to their equation? Also should I include the energy released from the reaction, like I did with (b.)?

Why don't you use U-235 and Deuterium [itex]^2 _1 H[/itex] ?

Sure, I could just invent some isotopes and call it good but I wanted to find some real isotopes that commonly result from a Pu-239 fission event.

If I used the products from a U-235 fission equation they wouldn't add up, since I'm supposed to solve it for Pu-239. The things that I guessed might work from the fission products graph add up right for the protons, (each pair adds to 94) but no isotopes of those elements has enough mass to add up to 237. That's looking at wiki's "Fission products (by element)" article.

I'm not sure what you mean by using deuterium.

Thanks, Alan

alancj said:
Sure, I could just invent some isotopes and call it good but I wanted to find some real isotopes that commonly result from a Pu-239 fission event.
well in that case, I guess you have to research like you are doing now

alancj said:
If I used the products from a U-235 fission equation they wouldn't add up, since I'm supposed to solve it for Pu-239. The things that I guessed might work from the fission products graph add up right for the protons, (each pair adds to 94) but no isotopes of those elements has enough mass to add up to 237. That's looking at wiki's "Fission products (by element)" article.

I'm not sure what you mean by using deuterium.

Left side is 239+1=240

Right side= 235 + 3(1)=238 if you add [itex]^2 _1 H [/itex] you'd get get the 240.

and the atomic numbers would add up as well.

There's still a missing proton. Uranium is 92, hydrogen is 1... that's 93 but Pu is 94. So like the others that I've tried one part matches (U-235 and D add to 237) but the other doesn't.

Should I just invent some isotopes then? I guess the graders would have to have a list of possible isotopes a mile long if they were only going to only accept real observed reactions. Maybe they are just checking peoples ability to add?

I still would like to know if there is a "correct" answer. Could I post this in the High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics forum?

Thanks,
Alan

1. What happens when Pu-239 fissions into 1N?

When Pu-239 undergoes fission, it splits into two smaller nuclei and releases energy in the form of gamma rays and neutrons. One of the resulting nuclei is typically a smaller isotope of plutonium, while the other is a different element entirely.

2. How does the fission of Pu-239 into 1N contribute to nuclear power?

The fission of Pu-239 into 1N is a key process in nuclear power plants. The released energy from the fission is used to heat water, creating steam that turns turbines to generate electricity. This process is known as nuclear fission power.

3. Is there a specific ratio of Pu-239 to 1N that is required for fission to occur?

Yes, there is a critical mass of Pu-239 required for fission to occur. This means that there must be enough Pu-239 present in a given area for a chain reaction to sustain itself. The exact ratio of Pu-239 to 1N can vary depending on the specific conditions.

4. What happens to the neutrons released during fission?

The neutrons released during fission can either be absorbed by other atoms, causing them to undergo fission, or they can be captured by other atoms, creating new elements. In a controlled nuclear reactor, the number of neutrons released is carefully regulated to maintain a stable chain reaction.

5. Can Pu-239 and 1N fission into other elements besides plutonium?

Yes, Pu-239 and 1N can fission into a variety of different elements depending on the specific conditions. Some common fission products include xenon, krypton, strontium, and barium. These elements can also undergo further radioactive decay, releasing additional energy and particles.