Min # of cells in a multicellular organism

In summary, there is no one answer to this question since there are so many organisms that defy categorization that way.
farful
Given a multicellular organism, what is the theoretic minimum amount of cells it can have?

Theory aside, what is the smallest known mulitcellular organism?
Furthermore, anyone know of any links that show a table of organism and # of cells?

Much thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
A fertilized egg or zygote can become multicellular as it matures. So by your definitions the answer can be 'one'.

jim mcnamara said:
A fertilized egg or zygote can become multicellular as it matures. So by your definitions the answer can be 'one'.

I left the definition of "multicellular organism" to be vague, hoping it was understood. I'll keep the definition vague (as it's not easy to define) and say it needs to be MORE than one cell, self-sustaining, # of cells in a matured organism, colonies are not organisms, and be careful with symbiosis as well. I suppose I could keep clarifying as people give more answers.

Last edited:
Look, unless you completely definite there are no good answers. And maybe not even then. Here's why - for almost any 'condition' you care to describe there is almost always an organism that defies categorization that way - and others that fit the condition.

Plants and wee beasties do not fit our preconceived notions of how they are supposed to be.

Before this gets hard to deal with - there are green algae that may have two cells when they are mature. Desmids, like some Xantidium spp., are classified by some older authors as being two cells because they can be binucleate. Some Dinoflaellates are binucleate but do not look like desmids, cleaved in half, so they are typically categorized as being single celled.

The real point is: our human-centric categories do not fit all living things. Period. Check out slime molds on Wikipedia if you want a real headache.

Also - multicellular sometimes is taken to mean an organism with many cells made of differentiated cells; different types of cells & tissues , performing different tasks, e.g., root, cortex, mesophyll, epidermis. I think this is what you are confusing with colonial organisms.

The definition I used for the answers above is what you implied - simply any organism that lives life as more than one cell. Colonial organisms. My favorite is Volvox. Check it out.

1. What is the minimum number of cells needed for a multicellular organism to survive?

In general, the minimum number of cells needed for a multicellular organism to survive is thought to be around 10,000. However, this number can vary greatly depending on the type of organism and its specific functions.

2. Can a multicellular organism survive with only one cell?

No, a multicellular organism cannot survive with only one cell. This is because different types of cells perform different functions that are necessary for the organism's survival. Without a variety of specialized cells, the organism would not be able to carry out essential processes such as respiration, digestion, and reproduction.

3. What is the purpose of having multiple cells in a multicellular organism?

The purpose of having multiple cells in a multicellular organism is to allow for greater efficiency and specialization. By having different types of cells with specific functions, the organism can carry out a wider range of tasks and adapt to changing environments more effectively.

4. Is there a maximum number of cells that a multicellular organism can have?

There is no specific maximum number of cells that a multicellular organism can have. Some organisms, such as certain species of fungi and plants, can have billions of cells, while others, like certain bacteria, may only have a few hundred.

5. Can a multicellular organism survive with an uneven number of cells?

While it is possible for some multicellular organisms to survive with an uneven number of cells, it is not ideal. The cells in a multicellular organism work together in a coordinated manner, and having an uneven number can disrupt this balance and potentially lead to health issues.