Semiconductors theory understanding nightmare1

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between atoms, molecules, and Avogadro's number, and how they relate to atomic mass and density. The conversation also touches on the importance of units in physics and solving equations, with the example of the N/V formula.
nhrock3
beg3o5.jpg

if we have a molecule or atom
then if we take avogadros number amount of this unit
then the amount will weight the atomic mass in grams.

[tex]\rho _m/A[/tex]

rho is the density
A is the atomic mass

why their dinviding gives us moles per cube cantimeter
??

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
In general, looking carefully at the units tends to help me understand physics. (BTW, solid state physics was the hardest subject for me.)

Anyway, we have this:

[tex]n = 0.6022 \times 10^{24} \frac{Z \rho_m}{A}[/tex]

Physicists have a nasty habit of leaving out units when they write equations in textbooks. That didn't stop the physicists in my EE department from marking my grade down when I forgot to put units on my test answers. YOU'LL GET YOURS ONE DAY PHYSICISTS!

Let's add the units:

[tex]n (#electrons) = 0.6022 \times 10^{24} \frac{#atoms}{mole} \frac{Z \frac{#electrons}{atoms}\rho_m \frac{mass}{cm^3}}{A \frac{mass}{mole}}[/tex]

You can see how the units cancel now. Does that help?

this is only the first question among many
to understand 4 chapters
thanks again :)

what is N?
in the N/V formula

Man, I can do anything these days without making an error. The correct units were:

[tex]n \frac{electrons}{cm^3}= 0.6022 \times 10^{24} \frac{#atoms}{mole} \frac{Z \frac{#electrons}{atoms}\rho_m \frac{mass}{cm^3}}{A \frac{mass}{mole}}[/tex]

To answer your last question:

[tex]n = \frac{N(electrons)}{V(cm^3)}[/tex]

Capital N is just the number of electrons and V is the volume.

ok thanks :)

1. What are semiconductors?

Semiconductors are materials that have electrical conductivity between that of a conductor and an insulator. They are typically made from elements such as silicon and germanium.

2. How do semiconductors work?

Semiconductors work by having a band gap in their atomic structure, which allows them to act as insulators at low temperatures and conductors at high temperatures. This allows for the control of electricity flow through the material.

3. What is the difference between n-type and p-type semiconductors?

N-type semiconductors have an excess of electrons, while p-type semiconductors have a deficiency of electrons. This is due to the introduction of impurities, such as phosphorus or boron, into the material during the manufacturing process.

4. How are semiconductors used in technology?

Semiconductors are used in a wide range of technology, including transistors, diodes, solar cells, and integrated circuits. They are essential components in electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and televisions.

5. What are some challenges in understanding semiconductor theory?

Some challenges in understanding semiconductor theory include the complexity of quantum mechanics, the need for precise control and measurements, and the constant innovation and development in the field. Additionally, the behavior of semiconductors can vary greatly depending on their composition, making it a continuously evolving area of study.