The number of atoms in an amount of a substance

In summary: Mister T According to Wikipedia, the amount of substance of a molecule of hydrogen would be 2/NA and the mass would be 2/(6*10^23) daltons. In summary, this means that a molecule of hydrogen would have an amount of substance of 2/NA and a mass of 2/(6*10^23) daltons. This can be confusing, but it helps to think of a mole as just a number, no different than something like a dozen. Therefore, 1 H2 molecule would have an amount of substance of 1/NA and a mass of 2 daltons. The concept of moles can be applied to any substance, and a mole of that substance would
g2c
TL;DR Summary
Help understand the definition of amount of substance
According to Wikipedia, its (quoting)
the number of discrete atomic-scale particles in it divided by the Avogadro constant

So a molecule of hydrogen would have an amount of substance of 2/NA and would have a mass of 2/(6*10^23) daltons?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Depends what "substance" you're considering. A molecule of hydrogen would comprise 1/NA moles of H2 molecules or 2/NA moles of H atoms (but no free H atoms). If the "substance" is molecular hydrogen, the amount is 1/NA moles. It has a molecular weight of 2 daltons, and a mass of 2/NA g.

g2c said:
So a molecule of hydrogen would have an amount of substance of 2/NA
Yes, but only if you're counting hydrogen atoms. Which is then 2/(6*10^23) moles of H. (using rounded values here)
If you're counting hydrogen molecules, then the single discrete particle is that molecule, and the amount of 1 molecule of H2 is 1/(6*10^23) moles of H2.
g2c said:
and would have a mass of 2/(6*10^23) daltons?
No. It would be 2 daltons. (again, all values rounded)

The concept of moles can be confusing at first. But it helps to realize it's just a number, no different than something like e.g. 'a dozen'.
A dozen is 12 of whatever you're counting.
So e.g. 2 cows are 2/12 of a dozen cows.
2 hydrogen atoms are 2/12 of a dozen hydrogen atoms.
1 H2 molecule is 1/12 of a dozen H2 molecules.

A mole is 6*10^23 of whatever you're counting.
So e.g. 2 cows are 2/6*10^23 of a mole of cows.
2 hydrogen atoms are 2/6*10^23 of a mole of hydrogen atoms.
1 H2 molecule is 1/6*10^23 of a mole of H2 molecules.

A dalton is 1/12 of the mass of a C-12 atom.
Since a C-12 atom has mass of 12 daltons, and a mole (so, 6*10^23) of C-12 atoms has a mass of ``12 grams, it follows that if you have a mole of a different substance, and a single unit of that substance weighs N daltons, then a mole of that substance will weigh N grams.

So e.g. if 1 hydrogen atom has the mass of 1 dalton, a mole of hydrogen atoms weighs 1 gram.
If 1 hydrogen molecule has the mass of 2 daltons, a mole of hydrogen molecules weighs 2 grams.Incidentally, a large cow has a mass of approx. 1 metric ton (10^6 g). A mole of cows would weigh (10^6)*(6*10^23) = 6*10^29 grams. So a single cow's mass in daltons is 6*10^29 daltons.

Likes DrClaude
Bandersnatch said:
So a single cow's mass in daltons is 6*10^29 daltons.
Meanwhile, a mole (burrowing animal) weighs about 100 grams. So a mole of moles is 6 * 10^23 * 6 * 10^23 * 100 = 3.6 * 10^49 daltons.

With apologies to xkcd.

My substance is 1 H2 molecule. According to Wikipedia "the number of discrete atomic-scale particles in it divided by the Avogadro constant" it would have an amount of substance of 1/NA since my sample has 1 particle (not one mole but one particle). How can it be??

g2c said:
My substance is 1 H2 molecule. According to Wikipedia "the number of discrete atomic-scale particles in it divided by the Avogadro constant" it would have an amount of substance of 1/NA since my sample has 1 particle (not one mole but one particle). How can it be??
Your sample has ##\frac{1}{6.02 \times 10^{23}}## moles of H2 molecules.

g2c said:

Because you're considering the H2 molecule to be what Wikipedia is calling a "discrete atomic-scale particle".

By the way, BIPM uses the term "elementary entity", not "discrete atomic-scale particle". BIPM is the authority. So in your case the elementary entity is a H2 molecule.

@Mister T
yes, I consider one H2 molecule as elementary particle and want to know what's its amount of substance according to the definition. What's wrong?? and if it is wrong, what is it , according to you, that is allowed to be taken as elementary particle?

I think I understood: The unite in the result of the division is the mol and so everything makes sens

g2c said:
according to you, that is allowed to be taken as elementary particle?

Elementary entity. It could be a H2 molecule. It could be an egg!

1. How do you calculate the number of atoms in an amount of a substance?

The number of atoms in an amount of a substance can be calculated by using Avogadro's number, which is 6.022 x 10^23. This number represents the number of atoms in one mole of a substance.

2. What is Avogadro's number?

Avogadro's number is a constant that represents the number of particles, such as atoms or molecules, in one mole of a substance. It is equal to 6.022 x 10^23.

3. How is Avogadro's number related to the number of atoms in a substance?

Avogadro's number is directly related to the number of atoms in a substance because it represents the number of atoms in one mole of a substance. This means that for every mole of a substance, there are 6.022 x 10^23 atoms.

4. Is the number of atoms in a substance always the same?

No, the number of atoms in a substance can vary depending on the amount of the substance. However, the ratio of the number of atoms to the amount of the substance will always be the same, as long as the substance is pure.

5. Can the number of atoms in a substance be measured directly?

No, the number of atoms in a substance cannot be measured directly. Instead, it is calculated using Avogadro's number and the amount of the substance in moles.