What is the downward acceleration?

In summary, we discussed the concept of a yo-yo, which is a uniform disk with a string wound around the rim. The downward acceleration of the yo-yo can be found by considering the forces and torques acting on the disk and applying Newton's 2nd law. For a slipping cylinder on a ramp, the acceleration can be found by adding the kinetic friction force to the other forces.
deanwudean
A yoyo consists of aunfirom disk with a string wound around the rim. the upper end of the string is held fixed. the yoyo unwinds as it drops. what is the downward acceleration?

I got the idea that Inertia*acceleration=force on the rim.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the forces acting on the disk and the torques they produce. Apply Newton's 2nd law to both translational and rotational motion.

I got it ,F=(M+lc/(R^2))ac

Mg=ac(M+(1/2MR^2)/(r^2)
ac=g/(1+R^2/2r^2)

just one more question, I can't figure out the accerlation of a slipping cylinder in a ramp.

how to apply slipping force, I mean the kinetic frictional force>?

deanwudean said:
I got it ,F=(M+lc/(R^2))ac

Mg=ac(M+(1/2MR^2)/(r^2)
ac=g/(1+R^2/2r^2)
If the yo-yo is just a uniform disk with the string wound around the rim, this answer can be simplified.

just one more question, I can't figure out the accerlation of a slipping cylinder in a ramp.

how to apply slipping force, I mean the kinetic frictional force>?
Just add the friction force to the mix. It equals [itex]\mu N[/itex].

What is the downward acceleration?

The downward acceleration, also known as acceleration due to gravity, is the rate at which an object increases its velocity towards the ground. This is caused by the force of gravity pulling the object towards the center of the Earth.

How is downward acceleration calculated?

Downward acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force of gravity, and m is the mass of the object. On Earth, the average downward acceleration is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2).

What factors affect the downward acceleration?

The downward acceleration of an object is affected by the mass and distance between the object and the center of the Earth. Objects with a greater mass will experience a stronger force of gravity and therefore have a higher downward acceleration. Additionally, objects that are closer to the center of the Earth will experience a greater force of gravity and have a higher downward acceleration.

Does the downward acceleration change on different planets?

Yes, the downward acceleration can vary on different planets due to differences in mass and distance from the center of the planet. For example, the downward acceleration on the Moon is approximately 1.6 m/s^2, while on Jupiter it is approximately 24.8 m/s^2.

What is the difference between downward acceleration and velocity?

Downward acceleration measures the rate of change of an object's velocity, while velocity measures the rate of change of an object's position. In other words, downward acceleration describes how quickly an object is speeding up or slowing down towards the ground, while velocity describes how fast and in what direction an object is moving.