Engineering Books for Logic Gates, Boolean Algebra, etc.

In summary, the speaker recommends getting multiple books to fully understand the concepts in electrical engineering. They suggest looking for a technician-level book from Heath Kit for a start on digital electronics and getting a textbook from sources other than student stores, such as from friends traveling to India or from surplus shops near engineering regions. They also recommend "The Art of Electronics" as a useful book for electrical engineers.
kevinf
i am just starting out as an electrical engineering major but having a bit of trouble already because the textbook sucks. we are currently learning logic gates, boolean algebra, circuit simplification, decoders, adders, etc. are there any good books that can give me extra help in these topics? i would prefer regular books and not textbooks

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Kevin,

If your like me, than you have to totally own a concept before it sticks. Because of that, I always had to get multiple books on a given subject to fill in any holes. For a start on digital electronics, you might look for the book from Heath Kit's Digital logic course. It was intended for a technician level introduction, so the writing is thoughtful and not too deep. Beyond that, you'll need to get a textbook.

Student stores are the last place to look for good deals on books. If you have a friend that travels back and forth to India, he can get you the most awesome bargains on books as the same books are available there at about 20% our price. China is much cheaper

Another place to load up on books is from surplus shops and discount book stores located near engineering regions of the country. For example, I live near a semiconductor and electronics design hub, so companies and individuals are continually dumping books from their libraries.

Finally, one book that every electrical engineer should have (and is unfortunately expensive) is "The Art of Electronics." It makes a great Christmas gift from the over indulgent grandparents.

Best luck with your courses, don't stay out too late ; )

- Mike

For the topics you mentioned I think the following book will be a great help:

Thomas L. Floyd, Digital Fundamentals

Digital and computer logic design by Morris mano

1. What is the purpose of engineering books for logic gates, Boolean algebra, etc.?

Engineering books for logic gates, Boolean algebra, etc. serve as a comprehensive guide for understanding the fundamental concepts and principles of digital logic design. They cover topics such as logic gates, Boolean algebra, truth tables, and logic circuits, which are essential for designing and analyzing digital systems.

2. Who can benefit from reading engineering books on logic gates and Boolean algebra?

Engineering books on logic gates and Boolean algebra are beneficial for anyone interested in digital logic design, including students, engineers, and hobbyists. They provide a solid foundation for understanding the complexities of digital systems and can be useful for both beginners and experienced professionals.

3. Are there any prerequisites for reading engineering books on logic gates and Boolean algebra?

While there are no strict prerequisites for reading engineering books on logic gates and Boolean algebra, a basic understanding of mathematics and binary numbering system can be helpful. Some familiarity with computer hardware and electronic circuits may also be beneficial.

4. What are the key topics covered in engineering books on logic gates and Boolean algebra?

Engineering books on logic gates and Boolean algebra typically cover topics such as logic gates, Boolean algebra, truth tables, logic circuits, Karnaugh maps, and sequential logic. They may also include practical examples and exercises to reinforce the concepts learned.

5. How can engineering books on logic gates and Boolean algebra be useful in real-world applications?

Engineering books on logic gates and Boolean algebra provide the necessary knowledge and skills for designing and analyzing digital systems, which are used in various real-world applications. These include computer systems, communication systems, control systems, and many other electronic devices that we use in our daily lives.