Operational Amplifier Problem

In summary, the student is trying to solve a circuit with an inverting operational amplifier and does not understand how to do it. The professor gave them a diagram and the student is stuck. The student could mention the objections to solving the circuit with positive feedback and then solve it with the inputs reversed.
Katfazack

Homework Statement

Given the attached figure (with values as shown on the op-amp) find Vo and io.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure that we're looking at an inverting operational amplifier and I used a voltage divider to find the input voltage [(90/90+10)]*1V = .9V. But I'm stuck on the rest.

I don't think it was very well explained by my professor, and since no two op-amps look alike I'm just wondering about how to solve this problem but also how to approach these problems in general? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the diagram is correct? As it is, there is DC positive feedback which will result in the op amp output at either the positive rail or negative rail. Could the inputs be reversed?

Well that's the diagram she gave us... So I'm not sure. I don't really understand that much about op-amps in particular. She just introduced the concept, but the homework is due today!

Katfazack said:
Well that's the diagram she gave us... So I'm not sure. I don't really understand that much about op-amps in particular. She just introduced the concept, but the homework is due today!

Well then solve it both ways. Solve it as drawn with positive feedback (the output will do as skeptic says, either pinned high or low), and go for the extra credit by reversing the inputs of the opamp to configure it for negative feedback, and solve for the output voltage and current.

Ok, but I've only solved before with negative feedback. How do I do it with positive feedback?

Because the supply voltage isn't given it is impossible to calculate what the output voltage and current would be. Since the op amp isn't identified I'd have to assume it was an ideal op amp so that when the output is low, it is zero.

You might mention these objections to solving the circuit with positive feedback and then solve it with the inputs reversed. You can do that, right?

Oh, yes we are only dealing with ideal op amps. But how do I know that the output is low?

Katfazack said:
Oh, yes we are only dealing with ideal op amps. But how do I know that the output is low?

You don't, because the circuit is bistable. Because of the + feedback, the output will peg either high or low. Generally with a comparator circuit (which is what is drawn), the input varies about some reference point (in this circuit it would be ground), and the output trips high and low when the input crosses the reference point (plus or minus half of the hysteresis voltage).

In the circuit shown, the input is steady, so you have no way of knowing how the output initialized (which of the bistable states it started in). If this were a real circuit, the output state would be determined at power-up, and might even be different for multiple power-ups.

BTW, the output of the opamp will pin near the rails, so if you have split power supplies for the opamp, the output will pin near those rails and not ground. If it's a single supply opamp, then the low output state will be near ground.

1. What is an operational amplifier (op-amp)?

An operational amplifier, also known as an op-amp, is an electronic component that amplifies the voltage difference between its two inputs. It is commonly used in electronic circuits for a variety of functions, such as amplification, filtering, and signal conditioning.

2. What are some common problems with operational amplifiers?

Some common problems with operational amplifiers include offset voltage, noise, and bandwidth limitations. These issues can affect the accuracy and performance of the op-amp in a circuit.

3. How can I troubleshoot an operational amplifier problem?

The first step in troubleshooting an op-amp problem is to check for proper power supply connections and voltage levels. Next, check for any faulty components or incorrect wiring. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to replace the op-amp or consult a professional for further assistance.

4. How can I improve the performance of an operational amplifier?

To improve the performance of an op-amp, you can use external components such as capacitors and resistors to compensate for its shortcomings. Additionally, using op-amps with higher specifications, such as lower offset voltage and noise, can also improve performance.

5. How do I choose the right operational amplifier for my circuit?

When choosing an op-amp, consider the specifications that are most important for your circuit, such as gain, bandwidth, and input offset voltage. It is also important to ensure that the op-amp can operate within the required power supply levels and temperature range. Consult datasheets and compare different op-amps to find the best fit for your circuit.