Looking at Operational Transconductance Amplifier (OTA) Ibias and load

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of an operational transconductance amplifier (OTA). The speaker has successfully created a simulation circuit, but is struggling with understanding the bias current (ibias) and load compatibility of the OTA. They mention that ibias must be high enough to force PM5 into saturation and that the output current determines the compatibility of the load. They also mention using a current mirror at the top of the OTA to create an infinite input impedance and converting the current to a voltage using an RC circuit. The speaker is seeking help and guidance in finding the value of ibias and understanding the role of the output current and RC circuit in load compatibility.
Weaver
Homework Statement
As part of a VLSI lab, we're designing an Operational Transconductance Amplifier chip. I'm struggling with understanding the OTA circuit. As part of design verification, we're supposed to build a voltage follower circuit and run simulations. With this, there is two things I don't quite follow:

1.How to decide the biasing condition?

2.Which feature of the OTA will decide the compatibility of the load?
Relevant Equations
Iout =g(V+- V-)
My attempt at the OTA is as follows:
circuit_design.png

The simulation circuit is as follows:
sim_circuit.png

I've gotten this far largely due the nature of the handout and its hints. I'm struggling with understanding ibias

From my understanding, there is a current mirror at the top of the OTA. This creates an infinite input impedance, matching the op amp design. From there I guess ibias has to be high enough to force PM5 into saturation? But I'm not sure how to find this value?

From experimenting with the simulation, it has to be in the range 1nA to 10mA, but I have no real idea why...

As for the load compatibility, my understanding of the OTA is, it produces a current proportional to the voltage difference at the inputs. So to make the circuit a voltage follower, you have to convert this current to a voltage? And the RC circuit does this by charging the capacitor? So the output current would decide the compatibly of the load? Or is it to do with the high output impedance of the OTA?

Any help or guidance would be really appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ibias*Gain(current_mirror)~(Vdd/2)/Rload

What is an Operational Transconductance Amplifier (OTA)?

An Operational Transconductance Amplifier (OTA) is a type of electronic amplifier that uses an input voltage to control the output current. It is commonly used in audio amplifiers, filters, and other electronic circuits.

What is Ibias in an OTA?

Ibias, also known as bias current, is the amount of current flowing through the input stage of an OTA. It is an important parameter as it affects the linearity, noise, and stability of the amplifier.

Why is Ibias important in an OTA?

Ibias is important in an OTA because it affects the performance of the amplifier. A higher Ibias can improve the linearity and reduce noise, but it can also increase power dissipation and decrease stability. Therefore, it is important to choose an appropriate Ibias for a specific application.

What is load in an OTA?

Load refers to the output resistance or impedance of the OTA. It is an important parameter as it can affect the gain, bandwidth, and stability of the amplifier. A lower load resistance can increase the gain but decrease the bandwidth, while a higher load resistance can decrease the gain but increase the bandwidth.

How does Ibias and load affect the performance of an OTA?

Both Ibias and load affect the performance of an OTA. Ibias affects the linearity, noise, and stability of the amplifier, while load affects the gain, bandwidth, and stability. It is important to choose appropriate values for both parameters to achieve the desired performance in a specific application.