Questions regarding Tensile Testing of metal

In summary, the load is applied to the metal specimen in a Universal Testing Machine and it is not constant.
silent_hunter
Can anyone explain me how the load is applied to a metal specimen during tensile test?
I am confused because I read in my textbook that after the ultimate stress is achieved and if the load is continued, then the metal specimen fails. But from the stress-strain diagram, we can see that the stress is decreased (the y axis) after ultimate tensile strength. Why is it decreased if we maintain the same stress?
To be clear my question is that is the load applied in Universal Testing Machine is constant or not? I mean is the load uniform over time?
thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am confused because I read in my textbook that after the ultimate stress is achieved and if the load is continued, then the metal specimen fails. But from the stress-strain diagram, we can see that the stress is decreased (the y axis) after ultimate tensile strength. Why is it decreased if we maintain the same stress?

Well you certainly are confused because you have said to opposite things as highlighted above.

No matter it is an easy thing to understand.

No machine is designed to apply a stress. It is designed to apply a load (force), usually by a hydraulic mechanism.

This load is shown on a dial or electronic readout. The readout may be calibrated in stress units but that then leads to only being true for a particular size of specimen so force units are more usual.

The hydraulic pump increases the force on the specimen from zero at a specific rate of increase, by pulling on the ends on the specimen.

At this happens the specimen stretches longitudinally in the direction of the load
and also becomes thinner in cross section (have you heard of poisson?).

Eventually we find that the stretching of the specimen continues but our force increase mechanism can no longer increase the force - in fact the load dial drops back a bit.
We have just past the ultimate stength.

At this time the specimen will have developed a very pronounced 'neck' which is a thinning of the cross section. Continued pulling will cause the specimen to break at this neck.

If you measure the cross sectional area of the neck and divide the failure load by this area you will find that the stress did not fall after all.

You should look up or ask your tutor about the difference between 'engineering stress' and 'true stress'.

Now it's clear. Thank you very much.

1. What is Tensile Testing of metal?

Tensile testing is a type of mechanical test used to determine the strength, ductility, and other mechanical properties of a metal. It involves applying a tensile force to a metal specimen until it breaks, and measuring the resulting changes in the material.

2. Why is Tensile Testing important for metal?

Tensile testing is important for metal because it helps determine the quality and reliability of the material. It can also provide valuable information for material selection, design, and quality control in various industries such as construction, manufacturing, and aerospace.

3. How is Tensile Testing performed?

Tensile testing is typically performed using a specialized machine called a universal testing machine. The metal specimen is placed in the machine and a gradually increasing tensile force is applied until the specimen breaks. The force and corresponding changes in the material are recorded and analyzed.

4. What are the different types of Tensile Testing methods?

There are several types of tensile testing methods, including the standard tensile test, the yield strength test, the ultimate tensile strength test, and the elongation test. Each method measures different properties of the metal specimen and provides valuable information for different applications.

5. What are the factors that can affect Tensile Testing results?

Some of the factors that can affect tensile testing results include the composition and microstructure of the metal, the testing environment (temperature, humidity, etc.), the testing speed, and the shape and size of the specimen. It is important to control these factors to ensure accurate and reliable testing results.