Stress and strain from atomic point of view

In summary, higher atomic density means the force binding atoms is stronger. This leads to resistance to a load applied to the metal bar. Bar strain is retained as long as the applied load is retained. When the applied load is removed, strain energy is used to move the atoms back to the original state.
jayanth nivas
Hi all,
This is a question regarding stress and strain.
Can someone please explain the concepts of stress and strain in atomic level?

My understanding is as follows.Let us consider a metal bar or rod that is subjected to tension.The load applied to the bar will be try to elongate the bar,that is it will try to pull the atoms of the metal apart.The atoms do have a strong force binding them so they will offer resistance to the load.So if i cut the cross section of the bar,the atoms on the surface will try to balance the force applied in order to maintain the equilibrium.So we take the internal resistance as the force applied by the area of the cross section.(But I'm not sure how atomic density affects this).

Now my understanding strain and hence the deformation is as follows.When the load is applied,the distance between the atoms slightly increases before an equilibrium is achieved between internal and external forces.This movement of atoms is converted into stain energy that is stored in the bar.As long as the applied load is retained,the distance of separation and hence strain energy is retained.When the applied load is removed,the strain energy is used to move the atoms back to the original state.

The problem with above statement is I assume the atoms will move before an equilibrium is established.Is that right ? if so can anyone explain this more clearly ?

And also the role of Young's modulus in this.If young's modulus is less,does that mean the atoms will move more before an equilibrium is reached?.If it is more does that mean elasticity is less?

One last question.If a part of the load is getting stored as strain energy,Does that mean that the internal resistance is offered against the remaining load? I know this is a kind of stupid question.But I'm not clear about this so i thought i can ask it anyway..

Please note I'm in high school and I'm not an engineer. I posted the same thread in general physics section,but due to lack of replies I'm posting it here.

Sorry if i have misstated something and thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are imagining a uniform single crystal of a metal bar? That's actually fairly unusual but fair enough.

Higher atomic density means the force binding the atoms are stronger. Think of the atoms being joined by springs - the closer together the shorter the spring, the less give it has.

If you bend a bar - the distances on one side are increased and the other side are decreased.
This compresses the springs on one side and extends the springs on the other.
The strain energy is stored in the springs (IRL electromagnetic fields).

Imagining the bonds as springs should help you understand how the atoms can move before an equilibium is established. It's like putting a load on a spring - energy is stored in the spring, and the spring deforms.
Technically - the behavior of springs is what you are trying to understand - so it is kinda begging the question - but once you can see it in terms of springs, you can replace the spring with the electromagnetic force.

Youngs modulus is another result of the atomic structure.

IRL: there are no pure crystals and most substances are compounds.
The details of their structures at a range of scales gives them their material properties.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between stress and strain from an atomic point of view?

Stress is the amount of force applied to a material, while strain is the resulting deformation or change in shape of the material. At the atomic level, stress is caused by the atoms being pushed or pulled apart, while strain is the resulting movement and rearrangement of atoms.

2. How do atoms respond to stress and strain?

Atoms respond to stress and strain by either stretching or compressing, depending on the direction of the force. When atoms are pulled apart, they stretch and create tension, while when they are pushed together, they compress and create compression.

3. How does the arrangement of atoms affect stress and strain?

The arrangement of atoms in a material plays a crucial role in how the material responds to stress and strain. A more organized and tightly-packed arrangement of atoms can withstand higher levels of stress before breaking, while a looser arrangement may lead to more strain and deformity under stress.

4. What happens to atoms when the stress is removed?

When the stress on a material is removed, the atoms return to their original positions and the material returns to its original shape. This is known as elastic deformation. However, if the stress is too great, the atoms may permanently shift and the material will experience plastic deformation, resulting in a permanent change in shape.

5. Can stress and strain at the atomic level be measured and controlled?

Yes, stress and strain at the atomic level can be measured and controlled through techniques such as X-ray diffraction and electron microscopy. By understanding the atomic structure of a material and how it responds to stress and strain, scientists can develop and engineer materials with specific properties for different applications.